• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!! bust my rear shock bracket

xjlady

NAXJA Forum User
changing my shocks today and lucky me I busted that little penis that sticks off the bracket (driver side). would I be able to cut that off drill a hole and get a heavy duty bolt and weld it in place??
ebuvu2e6.jpg
bynedy8u.jpg

you can also probably drill it and tap it and use a bolt to screw in to hold it in place. Or just weld a 5/8th bolt to it.

I cut the stud flush, drilled a hole for a bolt/nut that fit the shock, and welded the bolt head on the backside of the bracket.

5/8". I'd weld it on both sides as best you can. You'll ruin the heat treatment when you weld it but hey, it's gotta be done.

I drilled mine out. Used a 1/2" bolt and found a steel bushing with 1/2" I.D. and 5/8" O.D. I think it's because a 1/2" was the biggest bit I had. Drills made of kryptonite or something harder (!). Drill a small pilot hole then step up in size. Don't try to drill a 1/2" or 5/8" hole on the first shot.

Back