• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm ba-aaaaaaack!

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
........ With a ZJ...... :D

3OhpmXgl.jpg

'95 with 5.2 V8, auto.

-Clayton's 5" full lift kit, 4-link front/rear.
-'79 Ford king pin D60 with unknown brand mechanical locker and TNT truss
-'70-something D60 rear with factory "posi"
-241 t-case with Advance Adapters SYE
-Custom drive shafts
-315/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns
-Stock Ford wheels
-MileMarker hubs
-MileMarker winch
-ARB front bumper, custom made rear.
-Custom uni-frame connectors welded in between lower control arm brackets
-Bilstein 5100 shocks
-Chevy rear disc swap
-Custom steering with Chevy 1-ton TRE's.

Engine is a Jasper remanufactured long block with 40K on it
Trans and t-case were rebuilt 8K ago
Steering box 4 months old
Winch is essentially new, never been spooled out, still has factory cable ties on it.

It's been all over Moab by the previous owner, but there's barely any rock rash anywhere.

Runs and drives as nice as you'd expect it would if all drivetrain and lift components were new. Rides like a Cadillac. Originally built by an off road shop owner in SW Colorado somewhere. Fab work and welds are neat and tidy.

Catalytic converter was removed at some point, so I'll have to get that replaced and clear the CEL.

The ZJ itself has the usual "issues" with electrical gremlins and crappy interior quality.

Guy came down $3K from asking price - I just couldn't pass it up.

vjZtOkXl.jpg

ocwJgnrl.jpg

mef2lgXl.jpg

rfo0Aful.jpg

mmN5YRVl.jpg

U7QRxlCl.jpg

bc17CrRl.jpg

nrFoCLPl.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, Troy!
See you in Moab next week?

Decent rig! Saw that on CL the other day.

Thanks all! Had been toying with the idea of getting a "good" trail rig again. I've missed Truggy and the buggy I got from Seth (proracedriver) well aware that I barely used Truggy and never got to use Seth's rig. But there have been times I've really been jonesin' to get a trail run in so yeah, this one may sit more than it should...... but it's alot of what those rigs were, and alot of what they weren't. I think it's a good mix and the build is solid, should be a good reliable rig.

Very nice, Troy!
See you in Moab next week?

Unfortunately no John...... but there's hope for next year now...... :thumbup:

Better skid plate that belly before you destroy that 241 .

Yep, on the to-do list.

Actually, looks like the t-case sits lower than usual....perhaps from being mounted to the Clayton cross member....like the crossmember provides a driveline drop. Maybe a raised trans mount or a t-case clocking ring is in order....?

Last edited:
Ah what the hell, you hate ZJ's.

I do?

I liked the '98 5.9 I had there for a while. Didn't care for the driver's seat lack of comfort. Wasn't fond of having to replace the entire sunroof assembly when it blew out on the highway. Couple of electrical gremlins.

But hey, y'all know me. I'll have it for a short time, use it once or twice and send if off to a new owner..... Or I might enjoy the crap out of it. :dunno:

Yep, you dogged on them anytime I brought up the possibility of going that way. Maybe you have become enlightened over the years or maybe your ADD is so bad it doesn't really matter if you like it or not. :roflmao:

Just the 4 liter ones brutha. :shhh:

Put a temp tag on that beast so we can go play!

Temp tag acquired, valid to 12/9/18. :thumbup:

Conundrum...... So, the Clayton subframe and 4-links REALLY take up alot of the real estate under the jeep. The builder put a 40 series muffler where the cat used to be and then the exhaust turns up and runs in the drive shaft tunnel and drops sharply at the fuel tank, then around and out the back. Not much room at all to fit a muffler. Entertained the idea of just running a cat, but found videos on youtube of GC's with 5.2's with just a cat... pretty obnoxious. Sounds like a demo-derby car.

Scott over at AA Performance Muffler and Brake said he would put a compact V8 rated cat in place of the current muffler and gave me 3 options for "shorty" can style mufflers that range from a $70 glasspack to a $200
one with ceramic lined internals. He's quoted $500-$750 because of the parts and 4-5 tight bends it'll take...... wasn't expecting this. Don't what that dreaded hot spot on the floor from the cat being encased between the skid and floor..... It's all gotta be very precisely located if I'm going to get a belly skid under this thing. Clayton's belly skid that goes with this subframe kit is $375....:eek:

Anyone know off hand - '95 Jeeps being OBDI..... is the O2 sensore before or after the cat? Scott said it's before the cat. I seem to recall the O2 bung being in the OEM cat at the back...... ?

Last edited:
Temp tag acquired, valid to 12/9/18. :thumbup:

Conundrum...... So, the Clayton subframe and 4-links REALLY take up alot of the real estate under the jeep. The builder put a 40 series muffler where the cat used to be and then the exhaust turns up and runs in the drive shaft tunnel and drops sharply at the fuel tank, then around and out the back. Not much room at all to fit a muffler. I thought about just running a cat, but found exhaust sound youtube videos of GC's with 5.2's and cat-only set ups and they sound like demo derby cars.

Scott over at AA Performance Muffler and Brake said he would put a compact V8 rated cat in place of the current muffler and gave me 3 options for "shorty" can style mufflers that range from $50 to $200. He's quoted $500-$750 because of the parts and 4-5 tight bends it'll take...... wasn't expecting this. I'd like to avoid the dreaded hot spot in the floor from having a cat sandwiched between a skid and floor. It's all gotta be very precisely located if I'm going to get a belly skid under this thing. Clayton's belly skid that goes with this subframe kit is $375....:eek:

Anyone know off hand - '95 Jeeps being OBDI..... is the O2 sensore before or after the cat? Scott said it's before the cat. I seem to recall the O2 bung being in the OEM cat at the back...... ?

Both systems have an O2 sensor pre-CAT to monitor the fuel trim. OBDII has a sensor post-CAT to set a light if the CAT fails.

Surprised to see you in a Z. But they are cool rides. I hate the fancy shit they tried sojngnwith the console that always fail. But otherwise they ride nice and do well.

The cheap price, high-end suspension & axles, and V8 were the things that drew me to it. It's got it's fair share of ZJ electrical gremlins/issues.

I'd have bought it if it were an XJ too......

What if it was a 97? :D

Back