• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified Jeeps in Switzerland

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone on here been to Switzerland recently? Did you see any Jeeps? Did you see any vehicles on Swiss tags of any type that looked modified?

I have been looking for Swiss Jeep Clubs that drive offroad but all I seem to find is WWII Jeep collectors.

I was there last summer. Only American vehicles I saw were Harley Davidsons and Ford cars that were not available in the US. Europe sucks America Rules!

Stumpalump said:
I was there last summer. Only American vehicles I saw were Harley Davidsons and Ford cars that were not available in the US. Europe sucks America Rules!

You know what they say if "it doesn't suck, it blows".

Go to the Czech republic, those guys dig wheeling. They will be more than glad to show you how it's done. Mostly with rear engine, 2X Lada's, (kind of a Commi VW). I was amazed at where they can go with those things.

Last edited:
Vince said:
Has anyone on here been to Switzerland recently? Did you see any Jeeps? Did you see any vehicles on Swiss tags of any type that looked modified?

I have been looking for Swiss Jeep Clubs that drive offroad but all I seem to find is WWII Jeep collectors.
Most of the Swiss guys show up for the Jeep Jambories in Germany. Or jump over into Slovinia or the Czech Republic. Czechs are big off roaders, not a whole lot of restrictions on where you can drive most times.

Judging by their terrain you should just look for any jeep with 4 winches on it, one front one rear and one on each side. My main memories of Switzerland are if it's not up it's down.... the only horizontal places are man made... beautiful country though.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out when I get home. My Jeep has just got back to the UK from an 11-month stay in the USA. We may be moving to Switzerland soon and I don't want to have to sell my Jeep if the Swiss don't allow modified vehicles on the road.

If you have relatives in England it may be beneficial to leave the registration in England and just pay the permit fee and get the autobahn sticker for Switzerland. I seem to remember England being pretty lax on modifications, of course my info may be dated some.
I can't remember the Germans passing a right hand drive auto through inspection lately. Except for a few oldies. The Swiss are usually pretty close to what the Germans do.
It also depends on your status, most places give you 90 days with an extension. If you are on a work permit, you can keep your land of origin license plates for the duration of the permit. Tourists are indefinite, resident aliens are 90 days. There are some ways around conformity.

Thanks. I was dreading a short time limit for resident aliens. I wonder if I can still keep it registered in England and only use it in Switzerland for up to 90-days at a time. I will be coming back to England once a month so could take the Jeep every third trip instead of flying.

Vince said:
Thanks. I was dreading a short time limit for resident aliens. I wonder if I can still keep it registered in England and only use it in Switzerland for up to 90-days at a time. I will be coming back to England once a month so could take the Jeep every third trip instead of flying.

How long is the drive ? not counting the tunnel or ferry.

Vince said:
Sounds like a winner to me, get a Green (international) insurance card for the mainland and leave it registered in England. Pay the yearly permit fee for using the high speed roads and drive on. Dual residency is actually pretty common. You use the XJ to commute to your primary residence in England.

Back