• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uwharrie 4/15

Unfortunately I have some house repair work I need to do Saturday.......

Hour #3 the xj died...was running great...engine was strong...and then....nothing. I forgot to turn my electric fan back on. We sat on the trail with the fan on...it cooled enough to continue....1/4 mile away...and it just cut off....checked for fuel at the rail....yup...the ground was loose...still won't start...checked all the fuses....still no fire...30 min later..."I'm gonna try one more time"...yup it started and was just as strong as before... any suggestions to check now that I have it back at the shop?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Crank sensor will fail when hot before they fail completely some times.

Perfect...easy replacement?

It's on the top driver side of the transmission bell housing. It's not too bad. Might not be your issue though. The coil will do the same thing. I'd check for a crack in the coil too.

Can you help with another problem...xj did fantastic...low range would not stay engaged...any ideas?

Can you help with another problem...xj did fantastic...low range would not stay engaged...any ideas?

Yes I would guess it could be the shift fork pads. They are plastic and wear out. Could be the shift mechanism in the transfercase too. Either way it would need to be opened up and inspected. At least that is where I'd start.

CPS is a good start for the engine shutting down.

As for the TC, do you have a TC drop? I'd start with adjusting linkages before opening the case to check the fork pads.

When it shuts off, pour a bottle of water down the back of the engine on the CPS. If it starts, you know where the problem is.

I have 36" of extensions and a spare CPS in my trail kit.

CPS is a good start for the engine shutting down.

As for the TC, do you have a TC drop? I'd start with adjusting linkages before opening the case to check the fork pads.

Good point.

When it shuts off, pour a bottle of water down the back of the engine on the CPS. If it starts, you know where the problem is.

I have 36" of extensions and a spare CPS in my trail kit.

Never thought about that.

If I actually paid attention I would have wheeled with you, holler the next time you go, or if your local just holler if you get stuck on some wrenching

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back