• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Group Picture... come one... come all

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK.. I just realized something... we are going to have a LOT of XJ's out there :) and we should take the opportunity to try and take a picture of as many of us in one spot as possible.... so how about this.... on Fridays at 1745 (5:45pm) we try to take a picture in front of wherever we are going to have our dinner? I hope that the area will be big enough to fit all of us!

Any other suggestions?

Kejtar
P.S. Btw, I know it's not a trail pic, but I don't really see a way to get all of people out on the trail at once on the same trail.. just to take a pic

hell yeah! I was just thinking about that, friday sounds good, ill be there! :D

I was thinking about this also but I can't think of anywhere in Moab that 100 vehicles or so can fit. Certainly not Slickrock Campground. It'll be nice though. I'd like to see a photo of the rigs and maybe a separate photo of just the drivers.

Sorry, Friday won't work. We'll be at the Civic Center, so everyone will be parked in the parking lot and along the street. Plus, with all of the runs that will take place on Friday, many will probably arrive just in time to have dinner.

Thursday afternoon at the show and shine at Swanny City Park is the one time that everyone will be parked together, so there's the chance to get a pic of all the rigs together. Maybe someone can find a way to get on the roof of the pavilion to take a few shots.

OK... sounds good :) I was hoping for the Fridays as more people would be there then but Thursday should be busy as well :) so Thursday sounds good... but what time though?

Kejtar

IMHO...

...group shots suck. Especially with that large of a group. Once you get more than approximately this many vehicles together...

standard.jpg

...you end up with an anonymous herd. With say, 60+ Cherokees in one photo, I'll bet the a non NAXJA member wouldn't even be able to tell if they were Cherokees... or Explorers!

Would it even be possible to get that many vehicles in one photo? The best attempts that I've seen have had rigs parked on hills so the hills act like the risers that you stood on for those team photos. Can any of you guys think of anyplace near town that would work? None of the vehicles can be in the shade, in the late afternoon sunshine would look best . A nice background wouldn't hurt, either. :) Think 3 dimensional. Doesn't this look a whole lot nicer?

standard.jpg

Of course, for the real deal it would be best to have our show-n-shine winners in the front instead of my junk. IMHO, I also think that the somewhat disorderly arrangement works better for Jeeps than orderly, used car lot rows.

Re: IMHO...

Handlebars said:
...you end up with an anonymous herd. With say, 60+ Cherokees in one photo, I'll bet the a non NAXJA member wouldn't even be able to tell if they were Cherokees... or Explorers!

I still think it'd look cool..... :D

A group shot

a group shot would be really nice. I've considered it for the last 4 years. We need to think about this for sure. It doesn't have to be an Ansel Adams shot, or artistic. Just a good shot. Danno

I will not be there till friday! 8*(
Save me a copy!
There has to be somewhere along side the road with a nice RedRock backdrop?

If this is worth doing, it is worth doing right...

GSequoia said:
Anybody up for renting a helicopter for the picture?
You really got me thinking there. Who needs a helicopter when there are a bunch of 1000 foot cliffs around? This was taken from the Gold Bar Rim overlook with the meager zoom of my digital camera. You are looking at Highway 191 about 10 miles north of Slickrock Campground. The sun is blocked by the high cliffs of Moab Rim at about 4 PM when this shot was taken. We would do it in the morning when there is still sunlight on that spot.

standard.jpg

My idea is to arrange a bunch of vehicles into letters on that flat area so it spells out NAXJA. We could do it on Thursday morning since there are no scheduled runs. Here is a cropped version to show how much area we have to work with:

standard.jpg

It would take a lot of teamwork to pull it off, especially to keep everybody safe while trying to neatly arrange 50+ jeeps right next to a busy highway with 70mph traffic. Here's my plan:

1) Set up the arrangement. One party would go up to Gold Bar Rim with binoculators and all of the cameras and tripods that we would want to use for the shoot. Another party would stay down at that lot with some brooms. The overlook crew would direct the broom crew via CB radio as they laid out the pattern of the letters with the brooms. Meanwhile all of the XJs and MJs would stage somewhere safe down the highway, but still within CB range.

2) Once the pattern is laid out, the broom crew would put their vehicles in position to form the beginning of the letters while the overlook crew provides feedback as to how it looks.

3) Radio down to the staging area to send vehicles up two at a time, to allow them to safely slow down and enter the parking area, and to give everybody time to place the vehicles in the correct places.

4) Take a picture! :)

I'm thinking that the easiest way to form the block letters similar to the NAXJA font that we are all so familiar with would be to park all of the vehicles parallel to the highway, working from the far edge of that lot back to the highway. This would allow us to tweek the arrangement once all of the jeeps were in place to make it look really sharp because everybody would still be able to move around. This will need at least 10 volunteers to set up. A couple up on the rim to coordinate the arrangement. At least 5 down below to brush out the letters and use their vehicles for the bases of the letters, then to postion the arriving jeeps. Then maybe a couple more at the staging area to send the jeeps up to the lot as they are needed.

Any thoughts? Danno, Goat?

You guys should be commended for your creativity, and your ballsiness. However, I wonder what you have been smoking? :) :)

Get 100+ drivers convinced to get up in the morning and drive 10 miles from town and hang out while a group formation is set up, and another small group quickly runs out to the end of Poisen Spider......rather than eating breakfast and hitting another trail?

Good luck........ :D

Psssst - Richard. We'll be happy to show you a short-cut to Gold Bar Rim Overlook other than the "end of Poison Spider" (!?) or Golden Spike.

But, you'd probably still be eating breakfast! :D

Mike in NJ :patriot:

what about the big pit of sand kinda area were you cut off gold bar golden spike to do geminie bridges? thats big and open and you can take a quick hike up about a 100 ft and get the shot.

MOAB OR BUST
WIll

Back