NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee > ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (1993 - 2004)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (1993 - 2004) Technical forum for the classic ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees.

Old December 22nd, 2017, 16:42
NAXJA Member

Fuel check valve?

I've got a 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.0L with the fuel filter/regulator mounted to the frame (cylindrical shaped with 3 ports). In addition to the fuel pump in the tank, is there also a check valve within this filter/regulator? If so, what's procedure on how to test this check valve? The part is removed and on the bench.
Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:55
NAXJA Member

Re: Fuel check valve?

Well to answer my own question, yes, there is a check valve in the fuel filter/regulator.

I found out the expensive way. The jeep wasn't holding fuel pressure so after isolating the leak between the fuel rail and the tank, I assumed it was due to a leaky check valve in the fuel pump. Dropping the tank and swapping in a new pump didn't fix it...doh! Ended up swapping the filter/regulator this morning and now holds 50psi and starts right up on first crank.

To Test:
The filter/pressure regulator has 3 ports. The two on one end are the inlet from the pump and return to the tank. The one on the other end is the outlet and feeds the fuel rail. The check valve is between the fuel rail port and return port. You can test the check valve by blowing into the outlet port with your mouth while blocking the inlet with your finger. There shouldn't be any air leaking out thru the return port.

Wish I knew this before automatically assuming a bad check valve in the fuel pump.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:10
NAXJA Member

duplicate

Last edited by sdspearo; December 23rd, 2017 at 11:13. Reason: duplicate
Old December 31st, 2017, 14:07
NAXJA Member #120

Thanks for the info, I only was aware of one in the fuel pump.

mac 'check yoself' gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99