• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SFR SuperSoft Motor Mounts, say goodbye to vibration.

StinkyFab

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday we announced that we'll now be zinc plating all of our engine plates, and today I get to make an even bigger announcement. This is something that we have been working on for a really long time, and it's finally here and ready for you to enjoy.

For as long as people have been putting heavy duty motor mounts in their Jeeps there has been one constant complaint, vibration. The stock mounts are soft and squishy, and absorb vibration, but the stiff bushings that the aftermarket companies used in their mounts left something to be desired. When we first started making our Trail Proof Motor Mounts we searched and searched to find a softer bushing, and we did. The black bushings that we've been using were softer than the competition, but still not as soft as we would have liked. We wanted to do better, so we started doing our homework. We contacted manufacturers and studied different materials. We measured the durometer of the stock mounts and the competitions mounts, we measured bushings and researched various different options.

So here is what we ended up with. The new SFR SuperSoft bushing. These are a custom made urethane bushing that we are having manufactured to our specifications. They are as close to the softness of the OEM mounts as possible without giving up anything when it comes to durability. They are over 10 points in durometer softer than our old bushings, which were already softer than the others. We also went a step further by adding more thickness to the shoulder of the bushing. We've seen the shoulder ripped off of so many other bushings that we wanted some more meat there. This is also one reason we make the steel shell on our motor and transmission mounts so thick, to give that shoulder something to bear against, rather than having a thin shell that cuts through. We're really proud of this one, and super excited to get them out into the world to see how people like em. They are available now, standard with our stock height 4.0l motor mounts.

http://www.stinkyfab.com/heavy-duty...e/sfr-trail-proof-motor-mounts-jeep-4-0l.html

SuperSoft-Ad.jpg

Last edited:
Will this carry over to the transmission mount too?

(Or would that be stealing tomorrow's thunder? :gag: )

It will eventually carry over. The transmission mounts will come a little bit later due to timing of production runs though.

Im excited now. Just need to save the cash for these and your steering now. My new jeep is going to be so awesome.

Cant wait for reviews to start coming in.

They are available now, standard with our stock height 4.0l motor mounts.

Does this include being standard on the stock height trail proof drivetrain package for the motor portion and eventually trans too?

Essentially the Super Soft will be the "standard" and we will need to specify if we want the harder poly mounts. Is this correct?

So, to clarify. These will be plug n pray with your current mounts or are they different size? I don't actually have issues with vibes in my MJ, but potentially interested in swapping at some point.

Has anyone been running these new Supersoft mounts? If so what are your impressions? I've been trying to get in touch w/ SFR thru email and instagram but haven't heard a peep in over a week. Any customer input would be appreciated. I'm sick and tired of the Brown Dog MM I have and the increased NHV they created on my '01 XJ Daily Driver.

Has anyone been running these new Supersoft mounts? If so what are your impressions? I've been trying to get in touch w/ SFR thru email and instagram but haven't heard a peep in over a week. Any customer input would be appreciated. I'm sick and tired of the Brown Dog MM I have and the increased NHV they created on my '01 XJ Daily Driver.

Installing these on a buddy's jeep Wednesday. Will post up with results. Had the bushing in hand and it did seem much softer than the regular stuff, still very much Polyurethane though.

What email address are you using? I'm not very instagram savvy, and honestly don't even look at it much, but I'm on email all day every day and don't have anything in my inbox. That's generally the best way to get ahold of me, though PMs here work as well. [email protected]

As for if people are running them, I've sold at least 60 sets in the last month or 2, so I'm sure at least a few people have installed them by now. :)

Last edited:
Does this include being standard on the stock height trail proof drivetrain package for the motor portion and eventually trans too?

Essentially the Super Soft will be the "standard" and we will need to specify if we want the harder poly mounts. Is this correct?

These are now the standard for all mounts. We have phased out the old harder mounts entirely because I can't really think of any reason you would want harder mounts.

So, to clarify. These will be plug n pray with your current mounts or are they different size? I don't actually have issues with vibes in my MJ, but potentially interested in swapping at some point.

Yes and no. Most of the dimensions on these are the same as the old ones, but the shoulder is thicker. This means that the outer sleeve on the new mounts is slightly narrower so that everything ends up the same width. You can put the new bushings into the old mounts, but you may need to sand them down a little to fit into the engine brackets.

What email address are you using? I'm not very instagram savvy, and honestly don't even look at it much, but I'm on email all day every day and don't have anything in my inbox. That's generally the best way to get ahold of me, though PMs here work as well. [email protected]

As for if people are running them, I've sold at least 60 sets in the last month or 2, so I'm sure at least a few people have installed them by now. :)

Good question... I just filled out the 'contact' link on your website and asked my questions there. I think you've answered most of that here... but my main concern is that I have been running Brown Dog Rubber mounts for a couple years and no matter what I've done to 'adjust' them they still have a LOT more NHV than the OE mounts that I replaced. I've also replaced the Auto Transmission mount w/one f/ Napa but it was like the OE Rubber mount. The OE Rubber mounts I replaced weren't even worn out on my '01 XJ but I know that was likely only a matter of time so I replaced them. I was hoping to replace the Motor and Transmission mounts w/something of much better quality than OE but I don't want the normal increase in NHV that usually comes along w/that. I know it's a jeep and all, but I get tired of hearing my side panels, shifter, radio mount & most plastic pieces that aren't anchored down, vibrate like an old $0.25 Cheap Hotel Bed every time I come to a stop sign or I'm idling at a Red Light. :)

Got those mounts installed this evening. The jeeps old motor mounts were torn and causing a bunch of clunking. It's now very solid feeling and the only bit of vibration that might be considered actual vibration is at idle and is hardly noticeable at all. There are no rattles or noise at all. I give it a thumbs up and would definitely recommend them to someone looking to upgrade their mounts while keeping it stock feeling.

Got those mounts installed this evening. The jeeps old motor mounts were torn and causing a bunch of clunking. It's now very solid feeling and the only bit of vibration that might be considered actual vibration is at idle and is hardly noticeable at all. There are no rattles or noise at all. I give it a thumbs up and would definitely recommend them to someone looking to upgrade their mounts while keeping it stock feeling.

Thanks for the update! I'm planning on ordering a set of Motor and Transmission mounts this week from SFR to replace the BD and A-Zone tranny mounts on my '01 XJ. Had to double check and make sure my '01 did indeed have the center mount for the transmission mount... didn't want to order the wrong part. Idle is where I notice the NHV most... and if my AC is on and running my rig sounds like an old cold diesel truck while idling at a stop light or sitting in a parking lot! If the SFR mounts take care of that and keep my motor in place I'll be tickled!!

edited: Just placed my order for the Motor and Transmission mounts. Hopefully I'll get them soon and have time to do the install.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give an 8 month follow-up. I installed the Motor and Transmission mounts back on 7/2017. While these did fix my (at the time unknown) broke Brown Dog Motor mount and front end 'clunk' that I was felling, they are not good at getting rid of NHV. My rig Vibrates SO BAD now in Drive while stopped (ie... at at stop light) that my interior fuse panel has popped off a few times, the top of my dash has separated at the seam and vibrates like crazy when idling, just noticed this morning that one of my rear taillight has had 1 of the bolts that hold it on back out and the taillight assembly is loose and that's just for starters. It's very puzzling and at this point I'm thinking I may just ditch all these aftermarket mounts and go buy Rubber Factory mounts. When I'm driving my XJ runs like a champ and there's no felt NHV and is smooth... when I'm idling IN GEAR it's like one of those old vibrating football games w/the plastic players vibrating around. If I slip the Transmission into P or N while stopped at a stoplight the NVH all but goes away. It's confusing and I don't want to blame the SFR mounts but at this point I'm at a loss. I have to go and tighten up bolts frequently because they vibrate loose. :\

I had severe vibration, mostly at idle with a Mustang decades ago, because I had mounted the exhaust system with insufficient "give" in the mounts. Dash loosening, etc., as you describe.

Perhaps disconnect the exhaust from the hangers, and see if things change?

David Bricker / SYR

So you think it could be exhaust related? I have new exhaust parts installed so I could go over those again to check. It doesn't sound like a loose exhaust but maybe it's binding somehow is what you're saying? I'm going to do some checking this weekend if I have a chance and see if my flywheel bolts may be loose. I haven't checked those and not sure if those could be causing it. I will say it's the WORST vehicle vibrations I've ever been in... and the weird part is it's only when either coming to a stop, or being stopped at a light while the transmission is in D. If I put it in N or P the vibration immediately goes from an 11 to about a 1 or 2 (on a 10-1 scale). My XJ accelerates well, drives well, starts well, no misses or stumbles, etc... Mileage could be better but I'll live w/the 16 mpg.

Oh, and my rig is all stock height, no lift.

I'd be hard pressed to know why the motor mounts would cause a vibration that severe only in Drive (and I assume also reverse).

With regards to the exhaust - I would suspect too tight, as opposed to too loose. In my case with the Mustang last century, I didn't have enough play in the exhaust system to properly allow for dampening. Hence the suggestion to disconnect at least your exhaust hangers, and let it dangle loosely.

Flax plates bolts are never a bad idea to check. Loose bolts there can cause the strangest symptoms.

I have Brown Dog mounts (bought before SFR was available), with rubber bushings. I suspect I have a small amount of additional vibration, but less than 5% more.

David Bricker / SYR

I've heard 2 or 3 people (total) claim massive and unreasonable vibration after installing SFR or BD mounts. I really want to get my hands on one of these cars and see what is going on.

I'm with David that somewhere you must have something with no isolation passing vibrations on. Exhaust, t-case touching the crossmember (i had this on my car with the Atlas), etc etc. It doesn't have to be something big or with big contact to make a huge difference.

Back