NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old February 10th, 2011, 21:39
child9 child9 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 686
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

It may be better to use a JDM A340e from a Toyota Aristo (2JZGTE powered Lexus GS300). It is even closer to the Jeep AW4 than the Supra version.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 10th, 2011, 23:35
Mesh's Avatar
Mesh Mesh is offline
NAXJA Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 553
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalchris View Post
=] my first sticky! I just smiled like a little school girl. lol
It's not only your first sticky it's the first sticky for the Street and Performance forum.

If you have the money and go with the IPT parts you might as well send in your old torque converter to be customized. I'm currently sitting on an IPT rebuild kit and and just moved into a place with a garage maybe Iíll start building up my spare transmission.
__________________
89 Limited, 4.7L 10.6:1 CR, Full 2.5" SS Exahust, OME 4" 265/75R16
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 11th, 2011, 00:31
5-90's Avatar
5-90 5-90 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hammerspace
Posts: 18,821
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalchris View Post
=] my first sticky! I just smiled like a little school girl. lol
So happy to help - and I could hear you giggling all the way over here...

If it makes you feel any better, I was halfway considering sticking this thread before I read CherBear's post - once I saw that, it pulled me off of the fence.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:17
XJLI XJLI is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 13,542
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by child9 View Post
It may be better to use a JDM A340e from a Toyota Aristo (2JZGTE powered Lexus GS300). It is even closer to the Jeep AW4 than the Supra version.
how so?

and whats the availability like on them? i've never bothered to look anything like this up on say jhot or whatever those other jdm importing sites are. i'm def interested in building/getting a faster shifting aw4 in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:47
Talyn's Avatar
Talyn Talyn is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Radford, Communistwealth of Virginia
Posts: 7,329
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

There are also modifications that can be done to the PCM to firm up shifts. When I had my PCM flashed they turned torque management off and turned stall torque off. This resulted in firmer shifts and a more connected feel. I am not 100% what these features do, but since its in the PCM (not TCM) I would think that TCM sends a signal to the PCM to reduce engine output during shifts.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:55
XJLI XJLI is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 13,542
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
There are also modifications that can be done to the PCM to firm up shifts. When I had my PCM flashed they turned torque management off and turned stall torque off. This resulted in firmer shifts and a more connected feel. I am not 100% what these features do, but since its in the PCM (not TCM) I would think that TCM sends a signal to the PCM to reduce engine output during shifts.
interesting... you have more info on the flash?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:49
child9 child9 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 686
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

One of the clutch pistons is thinner in the Supra A340e due to a slightly shorter bellhousing and different TC. Some of the kits that upgrade the Supra trans include a billet piston. I'll upload a pic later. The Lexus version (and our Jeeps) have a thicker piston and don't require the billet version until you are trying to go over 700+, which I wonder if the 4.0L is even capable of holding that anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:51
Talyn's Avatar
Talyn Talyn is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Radford, Communistwealth of Virginia
Posts: 7,329
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
interesting... you have more info on the flash?
I don't recall the company that did it off hand, but it was done through kolak@aol.com. There were also other modifications done to the PCM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:56
XJLI XJLI is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 13,542
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

awesome thanks for the info guys. i really wanna get this motor singing since its fairly low miles and possibly throw some boost on it.

i loev the aw4 but it sure does soak up power, this thread is fantastic. i'll def be doing tranny mods in the near future.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:23
R6TeXJ's Avatar
R6TeXJ R6TeXJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Allen, tx
Posts: 217
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

subscribed!

Any write ups on how to do any of this stuff, rebuild, valve body pics? I know little to nothing about trannies
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:51
NorCalChris NorCalChris is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Coast, Ca
Posts: 3,118
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by child9 View Post
It may be better to use a JDM A340e from a Toyota Aristo (2JZGTE powered Lexus GS300). It is even closer to the Jeep AW4 than the Supra version.
Theres two versions of the A340E. The ones in TT setups are way different then the AW4. The A340E's in N/A cars,trucks, suvs, is most closely related to the 23 spline AW4. Same solenoids, same amount of clutches, etc, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesh View Post
It's not only your first sticky it's the first sticky for the Street and Performance forum.

If you have the money and go with the IPT parts you might as well send in your old torque converter to be customized. I'm currently sitting on an IPT rebuild kit and and just moved into a place with a garage maybe Iíll start building up my spare transmission.
It is the first sticky here. Thats awesome. Also, can you possibly email me some pics of the IPT rebuild kit? WickedXJ@gmail.com. I really want to see the clutches and that (c-2 clutch pack). The pic on their site just doesnt do justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
So happy to help - and I could hear you giggling all the way over here...

If it makes you feel any better, I was halfway considering sticking this thread before I read CherBear's post - once I saw that, it pulled me off of the fence.
Hey I'm glad you did make it a sticky, if people actually read the write up and follow the links that I posted they can learn alot of info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
i'm def interested in building/getting a faster shifting aw4 in the future.
If you read my original post theres a link to a write up on placing shims in the accumilators to reduce shift times. Make sure to read the whole write up and then try it. Theres guys who claim after they did it, thier A340E's shift faster then their manual counter parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6TeXJ View Post
Any write ups on how to do any of this stuff, rebuild, valve body pics? I know little to nothing about trannies
I didnt find any write ups on rebuilding the valve body, but the shimming of the accumilators has a link posted up.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:16
R6TeXJ's Avatar
R6TeXJ R6TeXJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Allen, tx
Posts: 217
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalchris View Post
Theres two versions of the A340E. The ones in TT setups are way different then the AW4. The A340E's in N/A cars,trucks, suvs, is most closely related to the 23 spline AW4. Same solenoids, same amount of clutches, etc, etc.



It is the first sticky here. Thats awesome. Also, can you possibly email me some pics of the IPT rebuild kit? WickedXJ@gmail.com. I really want to see the clutches and that (c-2 clutch pack). The pic on their site just doesnt do justice.

Hey I'm glad you did make it a sticky, if people actually read the write up and follow the links that I posted they can learn alot of info.

If you read my original post theres a link to a write up on placing shims in the accumilators to reduce shift times. Make sure to read the whole write up and then try it. Theres guys who claim after they did it, thier A340E's shift faster then their manual counter parts.

I didnt find any write ups on rebuilding the valve body, but the shimming of the accumilators has a link posted up.

you are awesome! The community thanks you!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old February 11th, 2011, 18:50
Mesh's Avatar
Mesh Mesh is offline
NAXJA Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 553
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Here is a link to my rebuild http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=962764 It's not a step-by-step but gives some good pictures of the inside. I can take some pictures of the IPT kit but i'm still working on moving so it may be a week or so.
__________________
89 Limited, 4.7L 10.6:1 CR, Full 2.5" SS Exahust, OME 4" 265/75R16
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old February 11th, 2011, 19:22
NorCalChris NorCalChris is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Coast, Ca
Posts: 3,118
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6TeXJ View Post
you are awesome! The community thanks you!
Its the least I can do. This forum has fueled my addiction more then any other site. I guess its time to become a member finaly. Its something I've always said" I'll do that next pay check". Then a few years later I've never done it. Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old February 22nd, 2011, 18:41
NorCalChris NorCalChris is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Coast, Ca
Posts: 3,118
Re: Aw4 power handling/ reliablity and performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalchris View Post
Its the least I can do. This forum has fueled my addiction more then any other site. I guess its time to become a member finaly. Its something I've always said" I'll do that next pay check". Then a few years later I've never done it. Haha.
Like I said I would, Im finally a member on here. !!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lift kit handling performance? twistedlizard720 Modified Tech Discussion 22 January 7th, 2010 21:46
XJ performance upgrades? Hydrolock Jeep Street and Performance 16 November 12th, 2008 18:58
*Weekend Performance Upgrades* cpolish24 Jeep Street and Performance 15 October 15th, 2008 07:10
Performance Upgrades Starboard M Jeep Street and Performance 18 April 9th, 2005 18:13
airflow performance upgrades BLUTO Modified Tech Discussion 9 April 23rd, 2003 23:15


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014