NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Grand Cherokee > ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (1993 - 2004)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees (1993 - 2004) Technical forum for the classic ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees.

Old May 26th, 2018, 06:04
NAXJA Member

Door Panel Retainers

Greets; Newish to me WJ with issues, i.e., loose inner plastic door panel to it's fit to the metal outer frame.

Looked up the part number via a pdf parts catalog for 1999 WJ; 6505539AA.

Spent bit more than 16 bucks for a bag of 25 retainers from a big after-market fastener company on the net. Installed.., NONE of them worked.., twice times.., used all but 4. (can't remember how many are required, but seems the bag held enough to do two doors).

Checked a few more places, and all sorts of other wrongly numbered parts were/are offered for the '99 WJ. Figured I'd stick with the parts catalog number, (as above).

Finally on eBay found a weird offering regards 6505539AA. Contacted the Seller as per. Seller offers one, repeat ONE Retainer for a bit more than 16 bucks for ONE retainer. Inquired to the Seller; "what's up?". Was explained to me that that part is MOPAR, hence 16 bucks for just one, and unlike others that use that OEM parts number, the Mopar would work. Yes, I found many of that parts number on eBay to be from commie china, (if ordered from china, no doubt=Customs check, blah, blah).

Went to O'Reilly's and purchased a couple of 3 dollar boxes of a few retainers within each to see if some Ford, or GM retainer would work. Have yet to have a fun day to ascertain a possible fit.

Any suggestions?

Anyone think 16 bucks is too much for just one OEM retainer? Like; Example: 16 bucks times say 10 positions would be $160.00, for 1 door.

Anyone have OEM retainers for the plastic inner door panel?

Closest Chrysler Dealer is some 200 miles away one way, and I have yet to call on them. With what little sense I have left to me--> indicates that they will probably not have them since there is such a flooded market for them offered by after-market places.

We have no junked WJ's in my area in order to find some to recycle.

What to do...!?!

LOL.., thanks for any positive feedback.
1989 Base RENIX XJ, 4.0,BA10/5,NP231,(200k+), no A/C, OME: 2" HD; coils, leafs, Nitro Sport shocks, T-Case spacer. KevinsOffRoad; steering box brace, HardKor Track Bar, stabilizer. JKS sway bar discos, (tossed out rear sway). Warn M8000 in ARB Kangaroo Bumper. OEM 15" steel wheels; 30X9.50 Dynapro muds, OEM 15" alloy wheels; 27" Blizzacks. Recycled oem seats. CIBIE/OSRAM head lights w/protective rock mesh guards. Replacement windshield, Rain-X wipers.
Old May 29th, 2018, 14:26
NAXJA Member #920

Re: Door Panel Retainers

Got any non-broken ones? take one to NAPA and start going through their "books" to find a match.
Old June 12th, 2018, 07:28
NAXJA Member

Re: Door Panel Retainers

Thanks.., but usually NAPA is closed when I roll past there, blah, blah. However I took a broken retainer, (albeit having correct OEM numbers, but sized too small, i.e., made in china), I was able to compare my sample to some retainers in little boxes at O'Reilly's that has better pm hours.

Turns out that a Dorman type 963030 D, for use on some Chrysler/Gm vehicles will work just fine.
1989 Base RENIX XJ, 4.0,BA10/5,NP231,(200k+), no A/C, OME: 2" HD; coils, leafs, Nitro Sport shocks, T-Case spacer. KevinsOffRoad; steering box brace, HardKor Track Bar, stabilizer. JKS sway bar discos, (tossed out rear sway). Warn M8000 in ARB Kangaroo Bumper. OEM 15" steel wheels; 30X9.50 Dynapro muds, OEM 15" alloy wheels; 27" Blizzacks. Recycled oem seats. CIBIE/OSRAM head lights w/protective rock mesh guards. Replacement windshield, Rain-X wipers.