• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Mild MJ

well the ol' jeep made it thru deer camp without a problem this year, other than me realizing the rubber control arm bushings are shot
1affb0c7ec3460f8a30e64f1b68a8cbc.jpg
03f5771d8a11a1f2dbb2a4e7b7a8b251.jpg
50c8e0d2d8ff4503a669f1bb7131be51.jpg
f7875a66ee828c962e2045567c36efbf.jpg
f5e15eff04937927585c21451e90f41d.jpg
7d66b8b20c13791ded297b9dd042615a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That buck has a bloody nose; did you offer him a tissue?

the bumper paint is garbage, it peels off way to easy, it was some kind of krinkle paint, I forget who makes it. the next go around will be monstaliner diy stuff.

thanks xjcasper, I had to hunt hard this year since there was a massive winterkill

edit, it was nightshades vht wrinkle fiish

replaced my massively cracked header, welded up the catalytic converter mount leak, new orings and screens in the injectors. that took me from 10 mpg up to 15 mpg. hopefully in the next two weeks I can get started ok sound deadning the cab

a9d0d053f006c990a2ecd47f8acc90af.jpg

Towed it down to a job I had in Idaho with plans of going to moab afterwards. Turns out it doesn't like the heat. New t-stat, rad cap, fluid didn't help. Figure the tripple fans aren't pulling enough air? So here shortly I'll go back to a mechanical fan. As of now it's gutted and I'm thinning out a new wiring harness. Something I've wanted to do for the last 5 years or more but have been dreading. Fixed the heater core metal on the fire wall for 97+, put on the tranny computer bracket as well as c200 bracket. If all goes well things should be a lot cleaner. Also put on a oem firewall mat, hopefully that'll quite things down and keep some heat out of the cab.
c17355fe3a8f789ca5cfd0bd71cc2a00.jpg
9761ebeb9d16e8a96c2c9ed08d7878fb.jpg
56913e195df0a2973955bba8338a3fb0.jpg

Wiring is complete. Everything is soddered and shrink wrapped, tallights/haz/running lights all work as they should. Oem dash sound barrier put back in. I now have keyless entry and a dome light. Temporarily fixing some left over water leaks after seam sealing the back of th cab, now the glass is leaking. Well see how long silicone holds up. Hopefully I'll get the interior in tonight and tomorrow some new goodies show up. Next step is tackling the mechanical fan. Since the wj fan is ran off the water pump, it's smack in the middle of the radiator. So I have to make a diy shroud. Currently running a 95 Dakota fan clutch since the wj one wobbled and was loud
b3c8e83d4d12e9efa58cfc4b7297f0a8.jpg
c9f3b534fe3ee5bf2c5370d569b04a12.jpg
1996c09f921620fe46b6cebc21c88ca7.jpg
0f43c758b0e8074f08df26ee855d94fa.jpg
388a28295e45367257c70c2313e89f3e.jpg

This is what the po's rear harness was with some trailer brake controller grafted in. Next time this goes up for sale the price is going to be quite a bit more.
b0132877bfcc5c7d0d0e317c8a9339be.jpg

After 8 years of no cruise control and intermittent crappy idle I robbed a clock spring from a spare xj and all is good now. Ended going for about a 200 mile spur of the moment road test up to Naches trail where once on top I realized I was nearly our of fuel. Hopped on a main logging road and ended up coasting about 15 miles down. Cruise works great, no idle issue and coming up the pass on the way home everything stayed cool. Still need a little work on the shroud for low speed cooling.
c3d1fbba577b2bbaf576c1cfa46c651d.jpg

I use to have to compreesor/locker switches up in the dash vent, after the re-wire I just left it out since it was a pain and I didn't like to crappy wiring the spec fab did. Today I atleast wired up the compressor to the rear defogger switch. I plan on trying to add a diode or something and using the same switch for the locker but for the time being I'm content since I use the air much more than the locker

Went out Christmas to play in the snow. Aired down to about 12 psi and on the way home I had a nasty resonace I could hear and feal over 30 mph. The tcase ran very low on fluid a few years ago and the front output bearing had play giving me a vibration at 65+. Tore it apart and found apparently red rtv doesn't jive with atf fluid. Replaced both output bearings and swapped in a new planatery gear/sprockets from a spare case since the rtv had plugged up the lube galleys and created a little wear. I'll find out tomorrow if what I thought was a old tire howl was the transfer case.

As for the rtv, when I did the sye 8 years ago, the screen looked the same. Figured the previous owner used too much, so I made sure to use just enough so it wouldn't seep inside, so I was suprised to see that. By the time I rebuild it and was installing I got to thinking of how the screen plugged and the rtv was the culprit not how much was used. I had already used locktite 598 black and eventually found its compatible with atf. In my searching I found permanent makes a specific atf sealant that I'll be keeping in mind.
2cb1acedd38dc326f7141ae7599b8c2f.jpg
35a0c778aaedeb737c5ec2472f184c3f.jpg
116fcdc458cf0ec3e003956ba9e2285a.jpg

Happy new year Cody, and nice build.
Question, do you go out alone 4x4? Wife and I are new to the 4x4 world and I'm afraid to go out alone in case we get stuck. No one to pull us out. This past summer my xj blew a radiator on the trail but luckily we were able to drive it out of the trail and back home.

Yep, I'm pretty much a loaner and don't schedule things so I'm always out alone. Accidents can happen and curiosity of "I'm pretty sure I can make it thru that" gets the best of me sometimes but I mostly just drive forest roads and easy trails. A few times I've met another rig out by them self and we tag along. Last year I was following a set of fresh tracks in the snow and came up on a stock colorado making way but struggling. Told home I'd break trail and if he got stuck I'd pull him out. Suprisingly he followed me til I turned around not wanting to get stuck lol. My most pitiful stuck ever was at Elbe trails, literally 1 truck length off the road. Spent about 1.5 hrs trying to get out of that nasty mud til someone drove by and I begged for a small pull out lol

2 years ago the stupid jeep left me stranded ontop of a mountin 15 miles down a jeep trail during hunting season. As the crow flies I hiked about 5 miles down and just happened to see 2 other hunters I'd met a a bar the night before and they helped me recover it. That was from a cam position sensor. I always have at least a few spare bottles of water and an O-meal or two in all my rigs and some fire starting material but I could defiantly go a bit more prepared.

Have you thought about joining a orv clubs? Was thinking about it so I can learn from seasoned veterans out there that knows the 4x4 world. Maybe we can join together and wheel on weekends?

I was on a Bayou tour quite a few years ago and the crazy guide has us shooting rooster tails of mud and driving over downed trees in this 20' aluminum boat. I forget what I said but his response was good, either it'll go or it won't go. I'm far from a veteran in the 4x4 area, I just use his motto from time to time. We might be able to go out to Elbe sometime, alder loop is my favorite trail and can be done mostly in 2low. For the most part I just enjoy driving out where nobody else is so I'm not a real or hardcore wheeler. The Comanche is back up for sale, doubt it'll sell quick. Do you have a stock xj or a bit done to it?

Been absent from the internet for a while. Probably won't any replies for another couple months.

Passed Cody years back traveling out 507. Beautiful truck.

Not sure how the presence of the locals have been on this forum. We used to have a large group throughout the NW to get out to wheel with.

Back