• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 60 rear dana 30 front set up

y-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering, if this could be dun becasue of the width diference. I want to get rid of d35 just so i dont have to worry about brakeing any thing.The lug pattern issue wont bother me but i was hopeing i could just swap one in and not have to change the gears for a while, if i could find one with 3.55's or somthing close, and how close do the ratio's have to be before it becomes issue. thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can run a D60 rear out of an old(70's?) full-size Crysler car to get a similiar width. As far as ratio's being different, its pretty common to have a 5 point difference when running a Ford 9". Any more than that might be interesting.

Greg

You would be better off with a d 44. Its not good on a trail with a rear that is wider than the front, and the bolt pattern for the wheels a probably different so you would have to have two spares. Get a front that goes with that rear and go full width. If you get lucky and get a d 60 from a 70 or 71 cuda or challenger that would work. If thats what you got I will trade a nice set of full widths. Front 44 and rear 60 with sommers axels. I need a 60 for a 71 cuda that I am restoring.
I noticed that you live in Youngstown. I got ripped of by some scammers on ebay. They live or used to live there. They made off with well over $30,000 from at least 90 different people. Have you heard anything about this? I read that it was on the news.

Last edited:
thanks for all the info i was just thinkin if i could get just a rear and through it in, what wil it act like on the road and trail with a full width 60 rear and a 30 front. xray i heard that a car parts place was selling stuff and never shipping it that might be what your thinking of but it may be different theres allot of crime in youngstown some times

the problem with haveing a wider axle in the rear is your turning radius increases greatly making it harder to navigate tight trails or stay in a line that you choose. with a narrower rear it will follow more closely to the track of the front tires

The closest you will find is a D60 from a mid '80s Dodge 3/4ton 2WD. It will have 3.55 gears and be 65"WMS to WMS. Which is WAY wider than your current D30.

D60s from old Chrysler muscle cars are VERY rare and will cost you more than fully built up D44 with gears and locker.

Also the center section a on a D60 is quite large, so unless you are running 35"+ tires it will be a boat anchor on the trail.

Back