• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark Plug Wires

Tom R.

NAXJA Forum User
I'm seeking recommendations on a quality set of spark plug wires. Over the years I've used various brands at different quality levels from varous parts houses (Autozone, Checker, PartsPlus, etc), but too often find at least one wire that's arcing to the head.

I don't want the most expensive thing going, but would appreciate your feedback if you found a particular brand to be a quality product that set it apart from the run of the mill variety. Thanks!

I got one bad wire in a set from the dealer on my 1991 XJ, and ruined the damn thing trying to get it right. (It wouldn't clip on like the others, so I trimmed the boot back a bit. That didn't help, but then I couldn't return the damn wires!)

Mind you, most folks I talked to seem to think I was the exception...

I tried Bosch wires after that, and they seemed fine. (Only had the Jeep for another 10,000 kms though.)

:)

There is a new kind of ignition wire out now, its become so popular you can usually find it at big autostore franchises.

Spiral Core, Electronic Suppression Wire. The name usually has some combination of those words.

The old conventional wire was "Resistance" or "Resistive" Wire, basically the conductor in the wire was nothing more than a long flexible resister to reduce the EMI/RMI. The conductor was usually carbon impregnated latex, which broke down over time and use, requiring fresh ignition wires from time to time.

The New "Spiral Core, Electronic Suppression" cable uses solid metal wire. (Yes, I know what your thinking, solid metal wire would cause horrible EMI/RMI, not only making horrible static on the radio, but also messing up the ECU and making the engine run poorly.) Except with this type the the solid metal wire is wrapped in a spiral the entire length of the cable, the wire makes a coil that cancels its own EMI/RMI,

The solid metal wire, spiraled into a coil may offer lower resistance, BUT the coil creates an inductance which is dynamic resistance, so probably only a marinal performance gain, the big difference is longevity. The solid metal wire doesn't break down. I have a set on my other car with 110k miles on them and they still work great.

So, consider looking for a set of Spiral Core, Electronic Suppression Ignition Wire.

Rick Anderson said:
There is a new kind of ignition wire out now, its become so popular you can usually find it at big autostore franchises.

Spiral Core, Electronic Suppression Wire. The name usually has some combination of those words.

The old conventional wire was "Resistance" or "Resistive" Wire, basically the conductor in the wire was nothing more than a long flexible resister to reduce the EMI/RMI. The conductor was usually carbon impregnated latex, which broke down over time and use, requiring fresh ignition wires from time to time.

The New "Spiral Core, Electronic Suppression" cable uses solid metal wire. (Yes, I know what your thinking, solid metal wire would cause horrible EMI/RMI, not only making horrible static on the radio, but also messing up the ECU and making the engine run poorly.) Except with this type the the solid metal wire is wrapped in a spiral the entire length of the cable, the wire makes a coil that cancels its own EMI/RMI,

The solid metal wire, spiraled into a coil may offer lower resistance, BUT the coil creates an inductance which is dynamic resistance, so probably only a marinal performance gain, the big difference is longevity. The solid metal wire doesn't break down. I have a set on my other car with 110k miles on them and they still work great.

So, consider looking for a set of Spiral Core, Electronic Suppression Ignition Wire.

Ya can't beat OEM when i come to some things and wire are one of them thing.

But the spiral core work and works good.......just make sure that in there advertisement that it said"100% pure silicone" and ya cant go wrong!!

I have had a set of these on my cuda to many years to count and never had a problem.
Have raised the hood many a time to find #5 spark plug wire sitting on the header:eek: ....and it has yet to short out our cause a miss. Even at 7,000 rpm.
No most of the time i don't rev it that hi much....but it will.
The brand that i us on my cuda, are called "TAYLOR"

Here is a link........thay do have the premade wires also!

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_763408_-1_10691

Flash.

Tom,

Last week I did the plug wire / cap / rotor change out on my '98. At the advice of some others here, I tried out the Mopar Performance plug wires. Very well built, to size, and each wire is even labeled for its respective cylinder.

The dealer carries them, but you can find them a little cheaper at any of the Chrysler Car Parts websites. Here's the info you'll need to order them...be sure to include the "P" in front of the part number. It stands for Performance.

HIGH PERF. IGNITION WIRE SETS
P4876436 1991-99 Jeep 4.0 L in line 6 - $38.50

Ivan

Flash said:
Ya can't beat OEM when i come to some things and wire are one of them thing.

But the spiral core work and works good.......just make sure that in there advertisement that it said"100% pure silicone" and ya cant go wrong!!
Actually, I'm pretty sure the OEM ignition wire on my 2002 Grand Caravan is Spiral Car. The wire is labeled "Electronic Suppression". So many of the newer cars may be coming with Spiral Core wires OEM.

Although I agree that you can't beat OEM on a lot of the things, its NOT universally true. Its more exception to the rule than any particular thing being less quality than aftermarket. A few that come to mind:

Brake Pads, unfortunately MOPAR and other manufacturer's sell aftermarket brake pads at the dealer. I've heard a lot of stories and even seen an article discussing it. You may be under the impression that your getting OEM pads, but you can get an aftermarket cheap version that does NOT last as long. I would NOT buy brake pads from the Dealer unless I had the specific OEM part number and got that part number from them. You ask for brake pads at your dealer part counter by make/model/yr, you may be surprised how reasonable the price sounds, until you find the replacement pads from the dealer only lasted half as long as the original pads that came with the car.

On the Dodge Neon's, the ignition wires are one of the 1st upgrades everyone recommends. The OEM are fine, but everyone notices a smoothing out of the power band with aftermarket hi-performance wires. Thats probably an exception, because I'd agree, most cars, you probably can't do any better than OEM for ignition wires.

Yup its called the "value line":rolleyes: and thay are cheeper and say mopar on the box.

I went with the Accel tune up kit from quadratrac- 6 plugs, cap and rotor, and hefty spiral core wires. Don't remember the exact price, but it was under $60.

Ivan said:
Tom,

Last week I did the plug wire / cap / rotor change out on my '98. At the advice of some others here, I tried out the Mopar Performance plug wires. Very well built, to size, and each wire is even labeled for its respective cylinder.

The dealer carries them, but you can find them a little cheaper at any of the Chrysler Car Parts websites. Here's the info you'll need to order them...be sure to include the "P" in front of the part number. It stands for Performance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That will work!;) My TAYLORS wire have to good a track record, for me to change, but then again..........stock coil, stock ign......cheaper........Hmmmmm :rof:

Flash.

Ivan

Ivan said:
Tom,

Ivan
It's funny, but I run these wires now. I completely forgot that I had them until I was looking over the engine this afternoon while it was light outside. The night before I was checking for arcing and number #5 was consistently making "blue light special" contact with the head from the upper part of the boot, and I saw an occasional arc from #3.

I agree that OEM wires are usually a very good bet, especially compared to most offerings from the typical parts store. I just don't understand why this has been a frequent problem with a variety of aftermarket wires. And now it's happening with OEM HP wires. Maybe I'll try the spiral core. Thanks everyone.

under the hood when its dark out.......is it a spark(light show) or is it more of a glow were wires cross each eater or pass by the block or eater metal objects.
if it is the lateral This is normal.

flash.

It's a very obvious spark that travels from the upper part of the boot to the head. I've dealt with this before and recognize both the electrical arc and the associated effect on engine performance.

Tom R. said:
It's a very obvious spark that travels from the upper part of the boot to the head. I've dealt with this before and recognize both the electrical arc and the associated effect on engine performance.

:thumbup:

Has anyone tried the aftermarket spark plug boot covers? They're mesh type sheaths that are supposed to protect the boots from heat and, as a result, reduce the likelihood of spark arcing. Expensive little buggers, too.

I have had great luck with my Taylor Spiro-Pro wires.
I have had only BAD luck with anything marked Accel...

Bones :skull1:

Back