• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple questions about wiring in a 2nd gear switch and torq converter switch

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 XJ AW4 and am going to wire in a switch so I'll be able to keep it in second gear, and wont get thrown forward on downward slopes.

I had planned to use the www.bigoffroad.com write up for doing this, but their site appears to be down(?).

Since I'm right there, I'm going to wire in a switch to lock my torq converter. I might as well since it's cheap and easy.

I picked up a couple of lighted rocker switches, and a couple of diodes to wire in. My question is, which way to I install the diodes? They say "Transpo IN5402" on them, and have a light grey circle about the letters. Do I wire them in with the grey circle going towards my switch? Also, any good ways to get these things attached to wire? They're the inline style.

Also, I am assuming there wont be a problem using a previously established ground that I use for my aux fan switch, to ground these two switches to? Just splice on in, and I'm good to go for the ground, right?

Thanks

It wont let me edit my original post for some reason? There is no edit button showing?

Anyway, I know the diode goes between the TCU and the splice to the 2nd gear switch. I messed up writing the post. Anyway which way does the diode point to?

I forgot to mention I also picked up just a plain toggle switch to kill the power to the TCU.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you have it, heat shrink tube will also work nicely for covering the soldered joints.

Out of curiousity- what good do these mods do you?

Yeah, I have decided against doing the torque converter lock mod. Can't ever really fathom using it.

But I would use the second gear switch. I just need to know if my 1amp diode will work fine?

Thanks

I don't think that I remember what I put in there now....

I think that they where 3 amp fast switching diodes. I'm sure that they where overkill though.

As for the touque lock the only time that I have used it is on the highway. Jeep gets a little bit better gas milage with it. Oh, yea you can stall the engine in frount of your 5-speed friends if you do the TCU kill option too.

if you kill the TCU, how does the trans shift?

The TCC lockup works wonders in steep downgrades because there is no slip in the TC it will go just as slow as a 5 speed with the same gears.

burntkat said:
if you kill the TCU, how does the trans shift?

Your controlling the AW-4 manually, IE mimicking what the TCU would be doing so to speak with the switch(s).

Back