• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Socalfest 2019 was great!

Made it home....barely.

Yowp!

I did similar on my trip back home on Easter. Temps with an IR gun had the rotors at 400 degrees or so by the time I pulled over. Nowhere near where yours went though.

I had a broken wire to one of the trailer brakes and I put a turn or so on the drum adjusters for the rear of the truck.

I think the biggest issue was the weight of the load. Cargo trailer loaded with hardwood lumber and a pair of big block Chevys in the bed of the truck, one with a TH400 attached.

I took to generous application of the lever on the brake controller.

And I have parts for front brakes sitting my shop right now too

Glad you made it home safe..

Made it home....barely.

Thats just scary man, glad you're ok. I flat towed down the 38 with my suburban, drove like grand ma', had no issue. Only time I've had to pull over in the past was when I was a little too (impatient) fast down the hill and started smelling brakes. Maybe happened to me twice.

Is that a Chrysler auto trans thing?

My Cummins/NV4500 will hold things back within reason. (Within reason being a matter of how steep the grade is and how much weight I am running).

The 3000 RPM redline is certainly a limiting factor, but as long as I brake to a reasonable speed and then downshift I can count on the engine to help hold speed down. I have never thought I was at a disadvantage due to being a diesel.

Diesels are notorious for not slowing you down on a grade. No throttle blades means no engine vacuum. Airflow through the engine being restricted by the closed throttle is what slows a gas engine. Hence why they put a blade in the exhaust and call it an exhaust brake.

And yes, it's worse with an auto because the converter will unlock and lose the slight slowing you get with your manual. If you really want to see that thing slow you down, add a butterfly in the pipe after the turbo...itll put you through the windshield.

Now you have me thinking.

Never a good thing.

Looks like it would be a bit more than a grand for the brake itself. Plus 60lb springs. Plus a spring compressor.

Worst part is, I should have done this a year ago. Now that I have put this truck through the bulk of the hard work it seems hard to justify this kind of upgrade.

Now you have me thinking.

Never a good thing.

Looks like it would be a bit more than a grand for the brake itself. Plus 60lb springs. Plus a spring compressor.

Worst part is, I should have done this a year ago. Now that I have put this truck through the bulk of the hard work it seems hard to justify this kind of upgrade.
Yeah, kind of the reason I've never done mine....its fine if everything else is working correctly.

They dont have throttle blades? Or just too small of motor with low enough compression to not do any good?

I'm guessing too small of a motor to do any good. It pulls my jeep and toy hauler great but has problems maintaining speed while driving at a steep decline.

Noah's new Dodge 2500 Cummins factory exhaust brake is amazing. We towed Gomer to Moab, and coming off the freeway on a steep offramp was child's play. I was quite impressed.

Thanks for sharing the pictures; I wish I could have been there this year. Hopefully, more on the house back here will be done next year, that will give me more flexibility.

David Bricker / SYR

Back