• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage 9/26

Rock Yacht

NAXJA Member #1242
NAXJA Member
The weather was perfect for wheeling. We ran down there for a shake-down run on a JK we've been working on for a customer out of Boulder. We got the rig after his former suspension failed on a JK run with Bob and some other guys. It was running a Teraflex kit until this happened.

DSC01922.jpg

The upper control arm mount tore right out of the frame on both sides. We've since fixed the frame replaced all the suspension with ours , installed an aluminum version of our JK modular bellypan system, reworked the steering and trackbar geometry and lowered the rig nearly 4" overall. In addition to the above it's running a Pro Rock D60 front, DynaTrac Full Float D60R rear, 41" Iroks, 5.7 Hemi, PSC ram assist and an Atlas t-case.

DSC02449.jpg

DSC02397.jpg

DSC02365.jpg

DSC02383.jpg

The rig performed beautifully and as you can see the aluminum bellypan held up nicely considering this JK weighs 6700 pounds.

DSC02423.jpg

Pat's not a big fan of being off camber, if you look close you can see the whites of his eyes sticking out around his glasses :eek: :D
DSC02370.jpg

DSC02359.jpg

For having the smallest tires of the bunch (37's) the Low Wagon did amazingly well and only had to hook up the winch to get unwedged after the front axle shaft broke and seperated the ball joint, and then again to get out the exit.

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

2010aug346.jpg

2010aug333.jpg

2010aug272.jpg

It was shortly after this pick that my drivers side u-joint let go and in the process seperated the lower ball joint
DSC02454.jpg

Mike jumped right in and we had it patched back together in less than thirty minutes
DSC02457.jpg

Winching out the exit
2010aug390.jpg

For those who haven't been I think this pick does a good a decent job of showing why they say the exit normally has to be winched out
2010aug407.jpg

Pat at the exit
2010aug375.jpg

I was a little nervous about taking a full bodied XJ through it and everyone was betting on which panel or window would go first but Mike did an amazing job spotting. I actually made it further between those rocks before the u-joint broke. We were trying to reposition it a bit but the bumper hooked on the rock to the right and wouldn't let me go back any. When I went forward again the sliders caught both rocks and DS tire grabbed the front edge of the large rock on that side which broke the u-joint.

The only really body damage I received was when we winched it out of that spot and even then I consider it fairly minimal. When we opening up the rear wheelwells we ran a piece of 3/8 rod along the edge of the entire opening to stiffen it up. It caught the rock and folded back but we can knock it back into place and the door scratches are souviners :). (the front door dings are from South Dakota)

DSC02475.jpg

That JK weighs 6700 lbs!!!!!!????? Holy keerap...... :eek: My Dodge Cummins crew cab long bed dually 4x4 weighs 7700 lbs.

That is one VERY overweight JK...... most sources I found show factory curb weight being 4129 lbs for a Rubicon 4dr........ Can you blame components for failure with 2500 extra pounds? I think I'll stick to my XJ's thanks........ :D

That JK weighs 6700 lbs!!!!!!????? Holy keerap...... :eek: My Dodge Cummins crew cab long bed dually 4x4 weighs 7700 lbs.

That is one VERY overweight JK...... most sources I found show factory curb weight being 4129 lbs for a Rubicon 4dr........ Can you blame components for failure with 2500 extra pounds? I think I'll stick to my XJ's thanks........ :D

Before it had the Pro-Rock 70 in the rear it had a Pro Rock 60 but it kept bending the axle shafts. It's a beast and you could tell that it's weight worked against it several times on the trail. It would struggle through an obstacle and my light weight XJ would go right through.

Awesome!! :yelclap:

The upper control arm mount tore right out of the frame on both sides. We've since fixed the frame replaced all the suspension with ours , installed an aluminum version of our JK modular bellypan system, reworked the steering and trackbar geometry and lowered the rig nearly 4" overall. In addition to the above it's running a Pro Rock D60 front, DynaTrac Full Float D60R rear, 41" Iroks, 5.7 Hemi, PSC ram assist and an Atlas t-case.

DSC02449.jpg

can some one explane to me why people buy rubicons and put axles and a atlas in them when that could of saved 10k and bought a sport and had the exact same rig...... just stupid to buy a rubicon and do that to it

DSC02449.jpg

can some one explane to me why people buy rubicons and put axles and a atlas in them when that could of saved 10k and bought a sport and had the exact same rig...... just stupid to buy a rubicon and do that to it

Pat would agree, hind sight is 20/20.

Back