• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

double cardon instead of sye?

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
i was looking around for a sye and drive shaft combo and saw double cardons for blazers and such used to eleminate vibrations. would this work on a jeep? i know that i would have to shorten the shaft but could this be done? could this actually work?

MCD said:
i was looking around for a sye and drive shaft combo and saw double cardons for blazers and such used to eleminate vibrations. would this work on a jeep? i know that i would have to shorten the shaft but could this be done? could this actually work?
That's the purpose of a SYE. To allow you to use a double cardon (incorrectly called a CV) driveshaft. When you go to a SYE you will need to also purchase a double cardon driveshaft. You may be able to save some money by using this shaft but you will still need the SYE.

I think what the man is saying is that there are driveshafts out there that do have a slipyoke and a dual cardan joint insetad of a mounting flange and a dual cardan. The biggest issue I see with those is that you have a lot higher rotational mass at the slipyoke and it puts a different kind of load on the splines as the slipyoke slides in and out. If you put the calculator to it, the tangential load and off axis radial loads can be fairly high when the shaft is spinning at speed.

Also a dual cardan is a constant velocity joint, but not the only constant velocity type joint. It is a particular type of CV joint.

old_man said:
I think what the man is saying is that there are driveshafts out there that do have a slipyoke and a dual cardan joint insetad of a mounting flange and a dual cardan. The biggest issue I see with those is that you have a lot higher rotational mass at the slipyoke and it puts a different kind of load on the splines as the slipyoke slides in and out. If you put the calculator to it, the tangential load and off axis radial loads can be fairly high when the shaft is spinning at speed.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can use a double cardan with a slip yoke. I think the yoke, whether flange or knuckle style (like the XJ front driveshaft), has to be fixed on the ends.

You'd be spending all that money to have a fixed double cardan shaft (no slip yoke in the shaft). Add the RE hack 'n tap to get a fixed yoke and then due the DC shaft with the slip yoke in the shaft where it belongs. If you don't understand what I am saying, look at your front driveshaft. This is exactly what you want to covert the rear to.

And yes, it should cure vibes as well as adding much needed strength to the rear driveline. This is the mod that actually fixes the problem.

Nay

kid4lyf said:
I may be wrong but I don't think you can use a double cardan with a slip yoke. I think the yoke, whether flange or knuckle style (like the XJ front driveshaft), has to be fixed on the ends.

Old man is correct, thet are out there. Like he said it puts alot of wear on the slip yoke. It's cheap at first but will cost you more later in repair bills. I would NOT recommend it.

mark

drvshaft.jpg

You can get one. I used this one on my 91 for the first couple of years I had it. It was a great shaft and it worked perfectly for its intended use. As I grew in my rig and experience, this shaft didn't grow with me. If you ever plan on going to any height with your rig or doing any moderate/extreme wheeling, get an SYE.
HTH,
Dan.

I agree, If you dont have a sye, your only fooling yourself when you have to remove the diveshaft or it breaks and oil in leaking everywhere and your in a worse situation than you started...(I talk from experiance lately... :p )

Back