• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forgot to reinstall dust shield..needed?

IndyXJ

Member #1314
I was doing some hub bearing assy./rotor work and forgot to reinstall the dust shields... I'd rather not have to remove everything if I don't have to. I think I heard it's no big deal, but thought I'd ask my fellow XJ'ers. A search was inconclusive...

Thanks!!!

IndyXJ said:
I was doing some hub bearing assy./rotor work and forgot to reinstall the dust shields... I'd rather not have to remove everything if I don't have to. I think I heard it's no big deal, but thought I'd ask my fellow XJ'ers. A search was inconclusive...

Thanks!!!

you might get some dust everywhere but how important ?...unless you get something coming at the rotor from behind i would THINK you'd be ok.

Not worried about dust at all or anything like that. Just wondered if anyone has ditched theirs? Mine took a little beating when I was replacing the rotors, hub assy, etc. Been on their 6 years...

for a trail rig probably no problem but t is part of the system. it does take up space and keeps the parts aligned, it also helps keep the rotors cool buy ducting air into the rotor, it is important

Back to the top. I just beat the crap out of mine today using a chisel to get hubs off. I don't really want to put them back on. I have another set but they are rusty. Anyone else taken them off or have anything to add? Negative effects?

I took mine off when replacing my axleshaft. Over Memorial weekend I was playing in some mud and clay over my tires and got some rocks and sand in my brakes and now I have to replace my rotor and pads because they dug a 3/8ths inch deep gouge in my rotor. I don't know if it was caused by not having the dust shield off or not but my right side seems to be in good shape and that side has the shield on yet so that could of been my problem. From now on I will keep them on so I don't have to worry about them not being on.

Kim.

Back