• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mudder chaos - Irresponsible off-roaders draw heat from with

Ceg

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/4862
Mudder chaos -- Irresponsible off-roaders draw heat from within
by Scott Sandsberry
Yakima Herald-Republic

Editor's note: Four-wheelers referred to in this story as outlaws are unrelated to an organized club under the name of Outlaw 4X4 Inc.

TAMPICO -- The tone of disgust in Ken McNamee's voice painted as vivid a portrait as the ground beneath his feet -- a mud bog, riddled by deep tire ruts, that only two weeks earlier had been an idyllic meadow.

"Oh my gosh ... look how deep that one is," McNamee muttered as his gaze passed from one massive rut puddle to a pair of parallel, even deeper gashes filled with runoff.
For McNamee, Alpine District manager for the Department of Natural Resources, this was a sad moment of deja vu. Six years before, McNamee had assessed similar damage in the same meadow, created then -- as now -- by the tires of four-wheelers looking for a muddy thrill.

"It's even worse now, at least in this area," McNamee said, turning to DNR recreation manager Vanessa Seldal and four-wheel-drive enthusiast Wade Kabrich. "This meadow was probably on the brink of recovery. It had grassed over and started its healing process.

"And then it happened again."
Particularly upsetting was that this "mudding" escapade had taken place off the Middle Fork of the Ahtanum not far beyond a pair of unmissable signs declaring NO OFF ROAD DRIVING.

"Believe it or not," Kabrich said, "I've seen way worse than this. This could have been done in 10 minutes."

But Kabrich's presence on this damage-surveying mission was evidence that public land managers like McNamee have a very powerful ally in their battle against outlaw four-wheelers: other four-wheelers, the vast majority of whom are law-abiding and are growing increasingly quick to blow the whistle on their misbehaving brethren.

"They think no one's watching, and they can do anything they want," said Kabrich, who serves as the safety and education director for the Yakima-based All Wheelers Off Road Club. "It's the 3 percent that's the majority of the problem, but it just takes one to really screw it up. One guy can make a meadow look like it's been ran through 100 times by rigs.

"I think once the word gets out that there's people with cameras and a pencil and paper ready to write down license plates, I think it'll be a big change."

That word may get out quickly after Memorial Day weekend, when no fewer than three mudding incidents in the Cascade foothills west of Yakima stirred up a hornet's nest of angry four-wheelers, many of them members of responsible clubs in the Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association.

In two cases -- one on Bethel Ridge north of Highway 12, one at Sleepy Park Meadow southeast of Rimrock Lake -- the club four-wheelers reported the perpetrators to law enforcement, complete with eyewitness descriptions and license numbers. Those cases are still being investigated, and charges are likely, say enforcement officers.

In another, in the Milk Creek trail circuit east of the Little Naches, other four-wheelers took photographs of the three mudders -- none of which had license plates -- and posted them on a club's Internet site with the request, "Anyone know these rigs?" Club members' response in chasing down the mudders' identities was fast and furious, with the sort of fervor generally reserved for capturing child molesters.

Dave Walters, a member of a Tri-Cities four-wheeler club called the Peak Putters, found a photograph of one of the mudders -- grinning from the driver's seat with a beer can in his hand -- particularly galling.

"That type of mentality is something I have a whole big problem with," Walters said. "We want to hang the guy. I don't care who he knows or who he's friends with, I want him hung."

Walters was just blowing off steam, of course -- and said so moments later -- but his immediate response was indicative of the growing enmity of responsible off-roaders toward mudders. The latter damage not just the backcountry, but the reputation of the entire four-wheeling community.

"We just don't need it," Walters said. "It's like any other group: 95 percent are good, upstanding people, but the 5 percent get all the press and make the rest of us look bad."

One recent mudding incident near Wenatchee was really bad -- ripping open underground springs, crushing a culvert and generally wreaking havoc with drainage into an irrigation reservoir. But one thing that came out of that September 2007 event is still reverberating in the off-roading community: One of the Wenatchee mudders pled guilty to malicious mischief and was sentenced to 22 months in prison.

"That has gotten a lot of people's attention," said Blair Bickel, an enforcement officer with the Forest Service.

Unfortunately, though, the message is all too often a case of preaching to the choir.
The organized off-roading groups and clubs already understand that mudding damage could ultimately lead to diminished access in the form of trail closures. But those groups aren't the ones causing the problems; instead, they're invariably the ones who adhere to "tread lightly" practices and trail etiquette, who stay on the designated four-wheeler roads, who turn out in droves for clean-up-the-trail efforts -- like the 1,000-plus volunteers from six clubs who put in thousands of man-hours doing trail maintenance work in mid-May near Cle Elum, or the ones who annually clean up Jim Sprick Community Park in the Nile.

They're also the ones who, like Kabrich, are working with public land managers to eradicate the problems and educating their own club members on proper trail behavior.
"The biggest thing any group can do is educate their riders," Kabrich said. "A lot of people just don't know when they first start out. They buy a pickup and go out and they see this little mud puddle, they hammer the gas, they want to see how far the mud flings. And pretty quick, you've got a big, deep rut there.

"But when you get 100 people (in a four-wheeler club) telling you what you're doing is wrong -- hey, they're your friends, they're family. That carries some weight.
"It's a peer-pressure thing."

And what about the ones who won't listen? The ones who will still go out, see a dewy meadow and decide to rip it apart?

If peer pressure won't work, maybe fines -- or, as in the Wenatchee case, jail time -- might do the trick.

"They need to understand this: We are arming ourselves with cameras and pens and paper," Kabrich said.

"This renegade behavior is not going to be tolerated any more."

Agreed.....

You won't have to worry about me doin' that kinda shit......

I have a driveway for that!! (first 10 feet are pure gravel/mud mix....)
Plus my front yard turns into a mud pit when it rains.....

I agree, great article. Copy/paste/save.
I wish there was a effective way to get through to those who have just bought a 4x4 and want to "hoss it" TV commercials?? Maybe brochures that you can leave on windshields of muddy rigs. How often do you see a muddy truck/SUV and wonder, "Did they get that muddy, illegally"
Which brings me to the question, how long should you leave your jeep muddy after a legal wheeling trip?
How many people pass a muddy jeep and wonder "how many acres of mother nature did that drunken redneck destroy this weekend." And then turn to the Sierra club, and donate their sins away.

I personally wash mine with in a week, but I have a pretty mall crawler. :D

Oh and I don't wheel

food for thought

BTW has everybody seen this thread? Good video BUT you have to watch the WHOLE thing.

Ceg said:
One recent mudding incident near Wenatchee was really bad -- ripping open underground springs, crushing a culvert and generally wreaking havoc with drainage into an irrigation reservoir. But one thing that came out of that September 2007 event is still reverberating in the off-roading community: One of the Wenatchee mudders pled guilty to malicious mischief and was sentenced to 22 months in prison.

And another recieved community service hours... That's my home town for ya... Buncha red necks. Sure my Jeep gets muddy. But like XJourney said, I do it legally. On the Forest Service roads. Most people around here do it illegally and it makes us legal guys look bad... :flamemad:

good article, but 22 months in jail for mudding? Come on, that seems excessive. People don't get that for driving drunk until they've been caught a few times, and that's way more dangerous and destructive.

srimes said:
good article, but 22 months in jail for mudding? Come on, that seems excessive. People don't get that for driving drunk until they've been caught a few times, and that's way more dangerous and destructive.

That's because FEDGOD isn't prosecuting DUI cases. ;)

That was a good article, and I agree 22 months is an excessive sentence for illegal mudding. Should be a suspended sentence, a stiff fine, and 100 hrs of community service cleaning and repairing trails under USFS ranger supervision.

And I always wash the XJ the day I get home from wheeling. It looks like trash to run around covered in mud for days or weeks.

srimes said:

So what is a good sentence for trespassing and destruction of property? How much time, effort and money do you think it costs to restore that destroyed property? If they pulled into your yard and began spinning tires, flinging mud all over your house, vehicles, pet dog, etc. what would you feel was an appropriate sentence? Because that's what they did - they drove past signs that stated not to trespass and trashed public lands. Now there are going to be public agencys putting forth effort to restore the land using funds that were earmarked for other projects prior to this incident. Oh and don't forget that after they trashed your lawn the "friends of fish" or some other extreme environmental group shows up and get you sited for excessive sediment run off from your lawn because you allowed this to happen...

I personally would rather see the perps out there repairing the damage through their own effort and funds. But the reality is that the type that would do this in the first place probably isn't really interested in making things right.

I was out last week at Reiter and while a whole bunch of hard working folk were filling a hole on the Index lookout trail with rocks some guys in a Toyota came a long and started chainsawing stumps to do a bypass. It was actually kind of cool to see the "show of force" from the Reiter friends when it came to providing some education about the dim view DNR takes of such behavior. The Toyota guys were totally reasonable and seemed genuinely surprised that making a bypass is not cool. The most outrageous people like the meadow mudders are pretty easy to target but I think that doing trail education, supporting Tread Lightly, and generally modelling good behavior probably impacts people who are less out of control but still doing damage.

srimes said:

fubar XJ said:
That was a good article, and I agree 22 months is an excessive sentence for illegal mudding. Should be a suspended sentence, a stiff fine, and 100 hrs of community service cleaning and repairing trails under USFS ranger supervision.

I wouldn't say 22 months is excessive, I would say DUIs are under sentenced. I also agree with Fubar on the suspended sentence for first offense(if the person was just ignorant on the subject). Beyond first offense I don't see any problem with 22 months. With that said I also think there needs to be more places to legally go "mudding" (not something I personally enjoy), I think having more availiable legal places would cut down on the illegal activity.

The 22 month guy might be the example for anyone willing to ignore basic respect of public property which is "ALL" of ours.. Most likely he has a background of breaking the law. I would like to think so, otherwise this sentence is totally unacceptable to incarcerate him when he could be doing something more productive with his time to restitute the issue.. I'm not talking about just a fine either, the government likes to take donations as always..Willingly or not...fine.:-0
A better option is community service...
Imo,"No one" should be able to have an option to pay a fine and avoid community service...
If this type of behavior continues we won't get to use it at all...
Then we all lose our public access again and it might as well be private property for special interest groups only...

Back