• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help diagnosing a problem.

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
Alright So heres the story, I have an 89 Xj with a 95 engine in it.
The engine was running fine after it got replaced, it had a leaky thermostat housing and needed a new coolant bottle and t-stat. Alright so i replaced all of that and gave it an oil change and new coolant yesturday. It ran fine for a day, but I kept having this clatter that would only come when the engine used to get hot. I taught after doing all that it wouldnt go away but it didnt. If i had to describe the sound, I'd say it sounds like a diesel car with bad valve adjustment. If anyone can point me in the right direction... Thanks.

Oh sorry i forgot to add something, its only upon acceleration, when it idles its fine.

Last edited:
flexplate bolts may have come loose?

can you diagnos where the sound is coming from? front end, back of engine???

Alright so i'm loosing hope, It just died on me on the road today. Thand fully i wasn't to far away from home so i pushed it back to its parking spot. It didn't bog down and die and there was no loud sound. It just shut off. It was cranking but didn't wanna fire back up.

Back