• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Braking in reverse ?

Cherokee91Red

NAXJA Forum User
First off one of my rotors is warped, I'm going to change those this weekend. Ok, whenever I roll or engage the tranny in reverse and brake there is a loud knocking sound. Loud enough to hear over all my music and make me wonder. When going forward there is no problems. Any ideas, is it just the warping in the rotors or something worse :dunno:

Have you pulled the rear drums yet to look for damage/loose parts? Will it do the same thing if you are rollig backward in Neutral and stop?

Well, the problem isstarting to get worse and I have narrowed it down to a driveline problem. The entire axle is rotating, control arms are tight. I think the gears might be worn or teeth broken or something like that. I am not sure but its something to do with either the gears in the hub or the t-case. Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

have you taken the drums off? I have heard there are problems with the self adjusters on the rear. with backing up, these would be affected. Also, have you checked the drive shaft is there any slop in it? could your u-joints be bad? I would think that if you have a problem with the axle or gears you would have a problem while driving it as well as in reverse.

Cherokee91Red said:
The entire axle is rotating, control arms are tight.

So the front axle is the one rotating? I'm having the same problem with mine right now. Turns out the control arm bolts are tight, but on the upper arms at the frame end the rubber is warn/crumbling so much that there is 1/2" of movement.

Matt

Back