• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VANCO 15" Big Brake Kit w/ BMB Pads Fits:Jeep TJ/LJ/XJ/YJ

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/magent...ake-kit-w-bmb-pads-fits-97-06-jeep-tj-lj.html

NOW AVAILABLE AGAIN...

Get Much better stopping power from your Cherokee. This kit is for 15" wheels, Also see the 16" and or 17" for even more extreme stopping power.

VANCO 15" Big Brake Kit
With Black Magic Brake Pads Fits: 1997-2006 Jeep Wranglers TJ/LJ
Designed for 15" Rims

The Vanco 15” Big Brake Kit Includes:

Left and Right Steering Knuckles
15” Black Anodized Caliper Adapter Brackets, pre-installed onto the Steering Knuckles
(Note: The picture shows the 16" Kit Caliper Adapter Bracket and Rotor, it will be updated shortly. The 15" Kit looks almost the same as the 16" Kit just a smaller Rotor and Caliper Adapter Bracket.)
Left and Right Large 48mm Dual Piston Calipers
Black Magic Brake Pads
Centric Premium Rotors
Hardware
Instructions

Will also fit Cherokee XJ.

file_47_34.jpg

“No Core Charge”, but see the insert in the box for instructions on how to sell your old knuckles back to us.

Notice to RCV axle shaft present and future owners– Do not install this kit if you have RCV axle shafts installed or plan to install them. No grinding of any Vanco supplied caliper adapter brackets, spacers, calipers, or hardware is to be done. There is not enough room in the knuckle to install the RCV axle shafts without grinding on the brackets. Grinding on any part of the brake kit can cause catastrophic failure of the brakes resulting in injury or death.

I just purchased this kit, and got it mostly installed this past weekend. It looks awesome, and I can't wait to finish the install and try it out.

What extended brake lines do you recommend using with it?

The ones currently on my Jeep seem to reach/fit OK. But the mounting surface on the new calipers is in a different position than on the stock caliper. As a result, the hard elbow at the caliper-end of the brake line faces inboard rather than forward, and it hits the shock when the steering is turned hard over.

If anyone has a specific recommendation that they know fits/works properly, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

IMG_0895.JPG

I took one of the calipers over to 4Wheel Parts and they hooked me up with a set of Rubicon Express extensions that should work fine. We'll find out soon enough!

If you call up Techna-fit here in Torrance and tell them you need a set of their extended brake lines for a wrangler they will make you a set in any color you want for under $40 for all 3 brake lines which will work with the vanco calipers. :wave:

If you call up Techna-fit here in Torrance and tell them you need a set of their extended brake lines for a wrangler they will make you a set in any color you want for under $40 for all 3 brake lines which will work with the vanco calipers. :wave:

That is a great deal. Are they standard rubber lines?

Thanks for the tip!

I called Techna Fit and ordered a custom pair of 20" front brake lines. I talked to Stuart, who was very helpful. He suggested that a colored jacket be added over the stainless steel braid for additional protection against abrasion (I just went with black). Cost: $25.00, plus shipping. VERY reasonable.

I placed my order on Friday, and they shipped it out on Monday. It was here by Thursday, and I installed them today (Saturday).

They fit perfectly and they're quite flexible. They appear to be very well made. Also, the fitting that threads on to the hard line spins freely on the end of the hose, which makes installation and removal easier. I'm very pleased.

Again, thanks for the tip! :yelclap:

Techna-FitBrakeLine.jpg

Last edited:
The are machined to clear the new calipers

Yes to stock steering and no to aftermarket high steer design.

Last edited:
Just bought a kit myself which showed up today. Very well packaged, great color step-by-step instructions, necessary hardware. Can't want to start the install of these!

How well do these work with the stock master cylinder, brake booster, and proportioning valve in the XJ? What calipers are used in the kit? Will it be easy to get a replacement at the auto part store if I'm on a road trip and a caliper fails?

I've only had mine installed for a few weeks, but there is no doubt they work FAR better than the factory brakes. And yes, that's using the stock master cylinder. In fact, nothing else in the stock brake system needs to be modified in any way. To me, that's part of the beauty of this kit. Simply replace the calipers, rotors, and pads with those supplied in the kit for a huge improvement in brake performance. Actually, I also decided to replace my brake line extensions too, but you may or may not need to do so.

The kit is certainly not cheap but in this case, I think you get what you pay for.

Brake feel at the pedal seems about the same to me, but the stopping power is significantly better without at doubt.

I believe the calipers, rotors, and pads are from a late 90s Ford Explorer. You might want to check with VANCO to confirm that -- I'm not 100% positive.

Replacement parts (rotors, calipers, pads, etc.) are available from VANCO, Black Magic Brakes, or Savvy Offroad.

Others on this forum that have had the kit installed for much longer than me can provide better info on their long-term experience, but I can say without doubt that I absolutely love the kit so far. Can't wait to test it out on the trail. :yelclap:

Back