• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk-Reverse/Braking

Bowzer

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched "Clunk", "Clunk in Reverse", "Clunk in Gear", "Clunk while Braking", "Clunk in front end" etc, etc, etc... you get it...

:helpme:

(Jeep info in sig)
Problem: Clunk's in Reverse while applying brakes
It will "Clunk" after I apply the brakes ONCE, any braking after that- NO "clunk"

Scenario: XJ Parked in Driveway, Backing out to street
XJ parked in driveway, not running.
Hop in, turn it on, let it warm up.
Apply the brakes, put Trans in Reverse, let off the brakes (rolling backwards)...
Apply the brakes (soft, medium, hard, doesn't matter) *CLUNK* from the front-end.

in a nut-shell: Parked anywhere, level/not level, while in Reverse (only), the first time I apply the brakes, I get a "clunk" from the front-end. Anytime I apply the brakes after that, NO "clunk"... :huh:

I just replaced the U-joint in the front DS that meets the Diff, the others seem OK. Axle U-joints I can't really tell. Diff fluid is full, 2wd/4wd work well... I DUNNO GUYS!
:lecture: skool me

Thanks for the reply.

I recently installed Rusty's 3" kit and have passed the "after a few hundred miles, tighten everything down" mark. So, all 'new' parts are tight. I haven't checked the brakes themselves (2nd day it's happened). So, I'll try that tomorrow...

i got this too when i had a 3" on my 01, but now i only have a 2" on my 00 and dont get this at all

I also get the "clunk" in reverse...not just once, but every time. It's obvious when backing slowly and tapping the breaks...clunk....clunk....clunk on every brake hit.

I've crawled under...examined things closely while my son backs up...think the movement causing the noise is the lower control arms. I noticed it right after installing my Skyjacker 3" lift...and it came with new LCA's. It's like the bushings are slightly too big for the bolt...or something.

I also hear it with rough roads...front end hits on even small bumps will produce it...just not smooth. Mine has been that way for 2 years now...always meant to seriously chase the problem down...just haven't fixed yet. I'm curious if others have had this issue...especially with Skyjacker lifts.

Didn't get to the brakes today... I'll do it this weekend (my days off work)

I'll let ya'll know if I find out what it is

:wierd:

Back