NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 12th, 2019, 16:50
NAXJA Forum User

Misfire after injector upgrade

Hi all,
I recently did the 4-hole fuel injector upgrade on my 96 XJ with some eBay Bosch refurbished injectors.
Ran fine (great) for 2-3 days, then I started getting intermittent p0202 and p0302 codes for injector circuit failure on injector #2. It would misfire and run really rough, but then just go away. Sometimes a couple times a day, sometimes none. Happened again today, this time P0206 for injector #6.

Think I screwed up the harness during the install? Visual inspection looks fine though. Maybe garbage injectors? Part number on them is 0280155923.
Old June 12th, 2019, 17:04
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Misfire after injector upgrade

I would suspect the injectors first, "been there,done that"!
Old June 12th, 2019, 17:11
NAXJA Forum User

Are failures for junky eBay injectors common? The guy I got em from had super good reviews but hey stuff happens right? I guess $55 for a set should’ve set off my “too good to be true” radar..
My first thought was that I chooched the connector on the harness, but that was when I was only getting failures on #2..

Problem is, my dumb self tossed the old injectors (one of them was leaky, that’s what sparked the upgrade. Why upgrade when I can replace?) so does anyone have a recommendation for a good set?
Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2019, 17:21
NAXJA Forum User

Also.. any advice on how to electrical test the injectors if the issue is intermittent?
Old June 12th, 2019, 17:58
NAXJA Member

Start by checking the resistance of the injectors. Often on intermittent problems like that I found one way out of spec. I think they should be around 12-14 ohms. Anything over 20 I'd say is suspect, or less than 10.
Old June 12th, 2019, 18:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Start by checking the resistance of the injectors. Often on intermittent problems like that I found one way out of spec. I think they should be around 12-14 ohms. Anything over 20 I'd say is suspect, or less than 10.
So the resistance would be out of spec 100% of the time even though the problem is intermittent? Thatís good to know, thatís what I was worried about. I have a multimeter at work so Iíll check all 6 first thing in the morning.
I reached out to the seller but who knows if Iíll get a response.
Thanks!
Old June 13th, 2019, 01:28
NAXJA Forum User

Did you disconnect the battery and go through the procedure to clear the computer so it could relearn everything?

If it were me that would be the first thing I try.
Old June 13th, 2019, 03:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Did you disconnect the battery and go through the procedure to clear the computer so it could relearn everything?

If it were me that would be the first thing I try.
I disconnected the battery plenty of times but didnít go through the legit reset procedure. Most people say you shouldnít have to.. Iíll try that though!
Old June 13th, 2019, 03:09
NAXJA Forum User

Injectors usually fail for physical reasons more than electrical and even more in "ebay" style injectors.
Old June 13th, 2019, 03:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailman View Post
I disconnected the battery plenty of times but didnít go through the legit reset procedure. Most people say you shouldnít have to.. Iíll try that though!
I never really understood the procedure myself. I mean c'mon. Headlights on, headlights off, etc. But you know what? I do it anyway. LOL.
Old June 13th, 2019, 06:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I never really understood the procedure myself. I mean c'mon. Headlights on, headlights off, etc. But you know what? I do it anyway. LOL.
Haha fair enough! I gave it a shot this morning, didn't seem to make any difference. I'm at work now and have both the positive and negative disconnected. When I leave, I'll go through the reset procedure again to see if it helps.

Good news though.. I heard back from the Ebay seller. He said they are probably fine, but is sending me 2 replacement injectors anyways just in case! (to cover the injector #2 and #6 issues)
Old June 13th, 2019, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailman View Post
Good news though.. I heard back from the Ebay seller. He said they are probably fine, but is sending me 2 replacement injectors anyways just in case! (to cover the injector #2 and #6 issues)
That is usually a bad idea, when they get done cleaning them they usually try to flow match sets of them.
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:45
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
That is usually a bad idea, when they get done cleaning them they usually try to flow match sets of them.
$55 for a set of six injector probably means little was done to them other than a quick cleaning and packaging, flow testing most likely wasn't done.
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old June 13th, 2019, 17:04
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I think it'll be fine. I'm sure 1000s of people have replaced only 1 injector with no issues. As long as it's replaced with the same part should be good to go.
Old June 14th, 2019, 05:30
NAXJA Forum User

I will say that I've run injectors from Ebay before but it's more important to list the vendor. That is the only way to start holding them accountable for their sales and service.