• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gravely sound from t-case...loose chain?

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
So when I put my 2-lo kit in, I got the rear shaft out without taking out the front shaft, and think I may have stretched the chain. I get a gravely kinda sound from the case when the rear shaft is turning when the tranny is in D or R.

Also, when testing out everthing the other day, there was a very loud popping sound sound coming from the case. I was in 4lo, backing up over a slight hill. Later on, when driving in 4hi, the case popped into neutral.

From what I have read, these are symptoms of a loose chain. Am I correct in thinking this or could it be something else?

Also, Tellico is the best place I have found as far as chain price goes at $70. Is there any place else I should look at for a better price on a chain?

Thanks

Fergie

Sounds like a stretched chain to me. The popping is the chain skipping over teeth on the gear. I would say replace the chain, and take the shafts out properly.

Back