• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting axels

mavrick said:
Has evenyone painted there axels while they were still under the jeep, if so what methods did you use.
Jeeps dont have any AXEL's,next!
BTW: I recommend a heavy nap roller for exterior work!

Last edited:
99 cent spray paint from Home Depot. IF you take your Jeep offroad, they will get scratched up so its a lost cause to spend a lot of money on paint.

AARON

I cleaned them up as good as possible and used rustolium rusty metal primer, then put on a thick coat of gloss black, both layers with a brush. If I decide to do it again, I´ll probaly use Hammerite paint, it goes on thick, is a straight paint over rust and needs no primer and eventually dries pretty darned hard. I mostly painted mine to help with clean up, mud is easier to wash off of a gloss finish. When the brown from the primer starts to show through too much, I put on another coat of gloss. Painting the brakes lines is supposed to be a no no, as it makes inspection for rot almost impossible.
If brush strokes in the paint bother you, a good trick is to keep a spray can of Rustolium handy and spray lightly over the freshly brushed on section, which smooths out many of the brush strokes and makes for an all around smoother finish.

I'm getting close to doing my axles too. Last time I had my rear driveshaft out I cleaned it down to bare metal, (or as much as I could) then primed it and sprayed it with rattle can Blk Epoxy appliance paint. Once cured...this stuff is hard as nails and is still shiny over 2 years later.

I prefer to use POR-15 it sticks to small amounts of corrosion well, although a bit more expensive it works well and is easily applied with a brush.

alvarez919 said:
I prefer to use POR-15 it sticks to small amounts of corrosion well, although a bit more expensive it works well and is easily applied with a brush.

por-15 is the shit...i used it today to do my rockers, door sills, wheel wells, rear quarters, undercarriage, and driveshafts...looks pretty tight

NCCherokee said:
por-15 is the shit...i used it today to do my rockers, door sills, wheel wells, rear quarters, undercarriage, and driveshafts...looks pretty tight

por-15 is well worth the money. It's around $25 for the can, but it goes a long ways and is virtually indestructable.

although i must say the por-15 really does stick better to a rough surface...i got carried away and used it for my flares and bumper and the stuff is starting to peel off in places...so if you plan on painting over smooth surfaces make sure to rough them up a bit.

POR15 by itself has no UV protection and will break down in the sun and reflected sunlight..It needs to be topcoated with something.

Back