• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 shaft upgrade ?s

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 auto, c8.25 arb locked,4.56

So I need replacement shafts, I want an upgrade only because of the locker. Stocks are wearing through the hardened coat.

Ive seen some threads mention crap advertising so I have some questions for you all.

. Chromoly isn't made in rear shafts correct?
. It seems 1541 is standard, but is it Really stronger?
. Does any brand machine a better design say Yukon vs nitro vs alloy vs g2, or any, but is there truthfully any better manufacturing done on any of these products?

- if I'm neglecting anything other than price on my selections, I'm all ears as well.

Wise me up please.

Rolled splines are 25- 30% stronger than cut splines. Rolling the splines is a cold forging operation that aligns the grain structure of the metal. It makes the spline stronger from an ultimate strength standpoint but also from a fatigue strength standpoint. The sharp edges left by the spline machining process are more susceptible to stress risers and fracture.

4340 cromoly steel, is a lower carbon steel with a minimum of 10% chromium by weight. Known as a high strength, low carbon steel with a tensile strength of 228,000 psi opposed to OE standard 1040 steel with a tensile strength of 110,000 to 130,000 psi.

1541H steel is a heat treated, carbon steel with .41% or less of other impurities. The heat treatments make the metal harder, without making it brittle for a tensile strength of 181,000 psi. It is up to 35% stronger than OE axles.

Last edited:
I went with Yukon's, they were the cheapest and also they are drilled for dual bolt patterns.
P1080476_zpsqxsz0amm.jpg

I think the majority of companies have their axles made by an Indian company. Unless you buy American made I'd expect them to be one of these. Find what you can get for a good price and run it.

Back