• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD front axle

Vintage Smoke

NAXJA Forum User
This may sound like a silly questions to some, but I honestly have no idea so I am asking. I have a 2WD XJ I will be converting to 4WD, 1 tons, etc. Is there ANY desirability to the 2WD front axle beam? In other words send it to scrap or try to find someone who could use it since they are hard to find? It would have to be picked up/shipped from Northern NJ (near NY City) if that changes anything.
Thanks

Interesting question. I did the same, but I'm keeping the 2wd axle for a future 2wd build.

There have been times where I have looked around for an XJ or JK 2wd axle for various reasons. But the crowd looking for that is going to be tiny

There are stub axles that hold the unit bering together that some people get. Other than that a great big paper weight IMHO!

I kinda figured it would be junk, but with my luck i'll toss it and have someone ask me about it a week later.
Ghost...what do you mean about the stub axles? People doing 2WD XJ's want the stub axles for building a custom front end?

I kinda figured it would be junk, but with my luck i'll toss it and have someone ask me about it a week later.
Ghost...what do you mean about the stub axles? People doing 2WD XJ's want the stub axles for building a custom front end?

No the only thing that holds the unit bearing together is the outer stub. I have a 2wd stub in my parts jeep in case someone breaks a outer stub so they can get home. Otherwise the unit bearing will come apart going down the road.

The outers are all the same as the 4x4 axle, so sometimes people may want the knuckles. Leave out the fact they are from a 2x4 as it just confuses people and the parts are all the same.

I've cut a couple of the beams up over the years to use the tube for assorted projects.

The outers are all the same as the 4x4 axle, so sometimes people may want the knuckles. Leave out the fact they are from a 2x4 as it just confuses people and the parts are all the same.

I've cut a couple of the beams up over the years to use the tube for assorted projects.

I've got an 88 MJ front beam that says that is wrong. The knuckles on it are completely different than a 4wd axle.

You're right. The early renix stuff had spindles. 1990ish they changed that and went to the same knuckle and unit bearing.

I always forget that junk existed.

Back