• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Built

XJ_Jeeper01

NAXJA Forum User
I'm posting my 2001 XJ as a feeler because I'm not 100% sure I want to sell it. I've had this XJ since 2004. It has 63,503 original miles. It started out completely bone stock and I have built it up as rock crawler. I haven't used it much at all in the past few years and I'm just not as into off roading as I used to be. I have put a ton of time and money into it trying to make sure everything was done right and no corners were cut. Honestly all it needs to be "complete" in my opinion is a winch and a roll cage. All of the work has been done by me, from installing the lift to the custom fabricated parts. The only things I did not do was weld the lower control arm brackets for the Rock Krawler Longarm arm kit and setup the gears. They were setup by a certified tech. I will try to outline all the good and bad on the Jeep as best I can. So much has been done over the years that I might be forgetting some things.

First off here is a list of parts:

Engine
-4.0 Inline 6
-Airaid Cold Air Intake
-New Battery 4/13
-New Spark Plugs 3/13
-New Valve Cover Gasket 2/14
-Oil Change with Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 2/14
-AC Recharged 6/13
-New Crank Position Sensor 4/13
-New Fuel Pump 4/13

Exhaust
-Stock Manifold
-Stock Cats
-Flowmaster Super 40 Muffler

Front Suspension
-RE 3.5" Coil Springs
-Rock Krawler 3-Link Gen 1 Longarm Kit
-RE Monotube Shocks(3 RE shocks, 1 off brand)
-Waggy D44 Front Axle
-4.88 Yukon Gears
-Lockrite Locker
-Warn Premium Locking Hubs
-Custom 1.0"ID - 1.25"OD .125" Wall DOM Draglink and Tie Rod
-Custom 1.0"ID - 1.50"OD .250" Wall DOM Track Bar
-RE Flex Joint
-Ballistic Fab Flex Joint
-RE Heavy Duty Track Bar Bracket
-Ballistic Fab Coil Buckets
-Custom Made Shock Mounts
-Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer
-New Inner Axle Seals 2/14
-New Axle Shaft Seals 2/14
-New Moog Ball Joints 2/14
-New Moog Tie Rod Ends 2/14
-New Timken Spindle Shaft Seals 2/14
-Ballsitic Fab Track Bar Axle Bracket
-Custom Made Truss and Upper Control Arm Mount(Axle End)
-D44 Passenger High Steer Arm
-RE Sway Bar End Links
-RE Extended Braided Brake Lines
-Waggy 44 Pitman Arm
-1" Coils Spring Spacers
-Extended Bumpstops

Rear Suspension
-RE 3.5" Leaf Springs
-Ballistic Fab Spring Perches
-Toyota 8.4" Rear Axle with Factory E-Locker
-Yukon 4.88 Gears
-Boomerang Shackles
-RE Extended Braided Brake Line

Driveline
-AW4 Transmission
-NP231 Transfer Case with AA SYE Kit
-Tom Wood's Custom Driveshaft

Bumpers/Armor
-Custom 4x4 Fab Front Winch Bumper
-Custom 4x4 Fab Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
-Custom Made 3/16" Wall Rock SLiders
-C-Rok Inner and Outer Frame Plates

Wheels/Tires
-15X8 6x5.5 Cragar Soft 8s
-35x12.50 BFG All Terrains
-3/4" Wheel Spacers

The Good:
-Low Mileage Engine and Transmission
-No Cracks in the Dash or Door Panels
-No Tears in the Seats
-Completely Rebuilt Front Axle(All rust sanded off and repainted)
-Repainted and greased all suspension parts
-AC blows cold and heat works great as well
-No transmission issues
-Non smoker
-Clean Title in hand
-No crack in exhaust manifold
-No cracked cylinder head(It does have the 0331 cast head)

The Bad:
-There is some rust from it being mostly on the east coast. It is all surface rust, there is no major rust.
-Some minor body damage from rock crawling. It has never been abused, but used for what it was built for.
-Sagging headliner
-A few mud stains on the carpet
-Front passenger carpet is cut out due to a leak somewhere when it would rain really hard. I never could find the leak so I cut out the carpet and drilled a small hole in the floor so the water could drain right out. Luckily is doesn't rain very often here.
-Tires do have some dry rot from the Jeep sitting outdoors
-Oil Pressure Sensor might be going out. The pressure drops some after driving for a bit. I will be replacing that shortly.
-Bumpers need to be repainted. They were originally powder coated.

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday. I'll link my photobucket album which has a ton of pictures.

I had just washed it so that is just water, not anything from the Jeep.

More pictures: http://s80.photobucket.com/user/XJ_Jeeper01/library/2001 XJ?sort=3&page=1

I will be replacing the oil pressure sensor, serpentine belt and the transfer case fluid. I have every receipt since owning the Jeep in 2004. It passed smog and is good till next year.

My asking price is $12,000. I know I will not get anywhere close to what I put into it, but it is a solid running Jeep and performs great for how it was built. It is also very hard to find these Jeeps with mileage this low. I will gladly answer any questions and take pictures of anything specific. Please feel free to message me or email me at [email protected] with any questions. Thanks.

Nice XJ but like me when trying to sell the main thing is that its a 2001 model year with low mileage. And that has been modified heavily away from stock taking away 90% of your buyers. The second part is you asking price most all who will want it will need to borrow money. Then to the bank they go and you know the story from there.

I bought my XJ almost a year ago for $1800 since then have dumped close to $9k in it. It a hobby and I looked at it that way like my race cars of almost 40 years $30-45k in and engine and it could go away in a few seconds or you might be able to race it an entire season.

I hope you find a buyer that has cash and wants your XJ.

Good Luck :sunshine:

Thanks Hillbilly XJ. I know it's a lot of money for an XJ and it's pretty well custom built for one purpose. I figured it would be good for someone that wants to get into rock crawling without having to spend tons of money on building up an XJ. Maybe that's part of the fun and the majority of people on a forum like this wants to build one. I don't think you could buy an XJ with mileage this low and build it like it is for less than 10k, especially if you had a shop do it.

Back