• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case slip yoke

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a slip yoke from a junk yard to replace my worn out yoke going into my NP242. Went to change out the u-joints on the driveshaft and try the new yoke and noticed that it was about an inch longer than my old one. Question: can I still use this yoke or will it damage my transfer case? It has the same number of splines (26) and appears to fit perfectly...but we all know appearances can be deceiving!

Btw. This was my first ever u-joint job. It went fairly well. Kinda of a b*tch at times. I found it useful to use one of the old bearing caps and a 6-inch C-clamp to squeeze out the remaining caps. Using two sockets was kind of awkward after awhile so I ended up only using the larger socket and a cap. And admittedly the old cap made a nice poor man's punch! Is there anything wrong with this technique that I should know about?

Thanks for any help on this one.

Back