• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Craigslist Scam?

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I posted a head and intake on CL and got this response.

hi my name is jacob and i am very interested in the jeep parts my phone number is 3608931804 and my cell is 2532055095 i look forward to hearing from you

Vague responses that say things like "jeep parts" instead of " that head you posted" usually throws me a flag.
I asked what parts he wanted and where he was.
He responded.

than you for your response.I am interested in the head actully i do want it but i will also take all the oher parts that you had listed.I live in southhill/puyallup area but i am willing to go wereever.i would of got back to you soonr but my computer doesnt always run the best.my phone number is 253-205-5095 you can call me or maybe if you have a number?anytime is great for me and I look forward to earing from you.
Thank You Jacob

Now he does mention the head but why not say "The intake" instead of "all" the oher parts that you had listed"

Once again it makes it seem like he doesn't even know what I'm selling. Saying "All" throws me off because it's one other Item. In addition to the horrible spelling.

I think this is probably one of those "I'll send you a money order that has to much money on it" scams.

I did google his email and it didn't come up with anything which is rare for people that buy crap online.

Maybe he's just not net savvy and dropped out of school. My grammar sucks but damn that's bad.

maybe one of them bigfoots (bigfeet?) you guys have up there got ahold of him and beat him silly :D

hmm what is the proper plural for bigfoot? I think bigfeet sounds better.

Oh anyway I'll keep playing and take cash I guess.

probably one of those damn french Canadians, if he wants to meet up either he's for real or he's gonna kill you, either way it's a good story to tell, if you live eh?

I live in southhill/puyallup area

This should tell you everything about why he is an idiot. I guess it could've been more obvious if he said he was from Kent.:rolleyes:

Maybe I should bring the Glock eh?

ah, in infamous glock version eh: caliber unknown and rumored to be extremely rare especially when compared to the glock 19

It sounds to me more like poor literacy skills than a scam, and possibly the sort of person you would not want to stay in touch with beyond one transaction. I'd say if you have no other offers, call him, arrange to meet at some parking lot or coffee shop or whatever, near enough to your place to be no big trouble for you, and tell him it's cash only. If he comes by with cash and likes what he sees, sell him the stuff. If he doesn't like it or tries to weasel out of paying cash, the deal is off and everyone goes home.

X2 on what Matthew Currie said, and make sure it's not counterfeit cash

A few ways of telling if a bill is legit or not:
* if you press the green side hard against a piece of white paper and rub vigorously, a little green ink will transfer to the white paper on a legit bill.
* if you look closely the paper will have fine red and blue fibers in it occasionally on a legit bill.
* the strip Joe just mentioned - it will read USA TWENTY USA TWENTY USA TWENTY USA TWENTY on a $20, etc etc.
* I believe different bills will glow different colors under a blacklight, but I'm not sure which colors are which denominations.

There are probably a few other tricks but those are the ones I know of.

Back