• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Dash problems

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning, I have a strange one with my dash gauges. I did a search but nothing sounded the same. I noticed while driving my Y2K yesturday that no gauge is working. The gauge backlight and turn signals do work. I started switching things on and the only other items out are the cruise and rear defroster. The odometer is lit, but the last recorded milage is constantly displayed, even with the truck off and key out? All the fuses (dash and engine compartment) are fine when checked with a meter. Obviously something is out with the dash cluster as all non-working items have some function relating to the cluster. I am planning on removing the instrument cluster, clean and check the harness plug contacts today. Anyone else have a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Angus :helpme:

There is a connector on the back of the instrument panel that is known for developing oxidation of the contacts. Take it apart, clean it, and then use some silicone grease when reassembling it to seal out oxygen.

try this: smack the top of the dash and see if it changes anything :D If this works, then you just have found your temporary fix :)
For a more permanent one, as it was suggested, take it apart and then clean the connectors and make sure that it goes in right :D Also there is a harness down below (you can get to it from underneath the dash) that might need to be retightened.

Fixed

Well took the instrument cluster out and dielectric greased the plugs. Works great now!!

Thanks, Angus

An additional fix is to 'tweak' the pins on both connectors just a tad so that they bind and contact a bit better in the connectors.

This is the only thing I come up with.
Lenny

NO: 08-12-00
SUBJECT: Instrument Cluster Gauge Pointers On Wrong Side Of Pointer Stops
DATE: April 7, 2000
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-33-99, DATED OCT. 8, 1999, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE 1999 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-699-00004). ADDITIONAL VEHICLE LINES HAVE BEEN ADDED AND ARE MARKED WITH **ASTERISKS**.

DISCUSSION:
If a vehicle/ instrument cluster is received with the instrument cluster gauge pointers on the wrong side of the pointer stops, the cluster "Self Test" should be run to reset the pointers.

The instrument cluster "Self Test" is initiated by pressing and holding the trip-reset button and turning the ignition on without cranking the engine. The instrument cluster will light the indicators except for the turn signals, the high beam, and the fog lamps. The gauge pointers should then step through the scales and then sweep back to the proper side of the pointer stops.

sorry to hijack but this pisses me off. I also have a 200XJ and have had issues with corrosion. MY heater controls became fubared from corrosion and I lost speed control over my fan. I was shocked that an under the dash part on the inside of the vehicle would become corroded so quickly. Now, from this post it seems that other parts are problematic as well.

Oh well....Chrysler sux.

Back