• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uwharrie Volunteer Work Weekend

XJfreakHO

NAXJA Forum User
Posting this to help out, if you have any questions you can contact me or use the contact information in the following message.

This is a great group of folks, doing a great thing to keep Uwharrie maintained and open for our trail use, its a great time to come out and help in any way you can whether that be donating some money, donating some time, donating some equipment, or a little bit of everything.

Here is the original thread link with more information about the work weekend:
http://nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110388

Here is a facebook event about the work weekend:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123144657764042

I know we have a bunch of these threads including the one Terry The Hot Dog Guy posted (big thanks!), but some have been derailed and to get things on track and get all the information together in one spot here we go.

First off if you want to donate via paypal my paypal is [email protected] (Eli & Cathy Pupavatz). I keep track of all the donations that come through there, which makes it easy to keep records etc.

You are also more than welcome to donate via check/cash etc. What ever works for you.

As many are aware the big thing is that the Work Weekend isn't a NC4X4/FoU event. Its an event for the ENTIRE OHV COMMUNITY, and so far the clubs are helping out A LOT! A big thanks goes out to them!

Here is what we are looking at. The following clubs have contacted and committed to donate or have even all ready thrown in money!

Triad Trial Junkies
Trail Jammers Club
Decomp Trail Riders
4x4 Everyone

2 of the clubs are right around the $200 mark in funds all ready raised including TTJ and TJC. I have a feeling if they keep this up they both will go beyond the $200 mark no problem!

We have also talked to a few clubs and they have formal rules/bylaws to go through, but they have shown interest in donating (or donated in the past). When I get word back from them I will post them up also.

I don't have exact numbers from all the clubs but its looking like we are around the $500-$550 mark. Getting close to the halfway point. If we include the one commitment to "meet or beat" the $200 point, we in theory could actually be right around the halfway/$750 mark. But I haven't heard back about the commitment, so I will hold off on adding it to the tally.

workweekend.jpg

Come on folks!!

This is for a great cause, I know alot of yall wheel Uwharrie, so just plan a trip for this weekend, wheel with us in the evening after working, and help us really make a difference.

Even if you can't make the trip, just a small donation really goes a long way. If 50 people donated $5 a piece, thats $250 bucks, and puts us alot closer to the goal.

Thank you for any interest.

Eric Schmitt
Triad Trail Junkies
Foxwood says:
Bump... I always follow Eli to URE

Yeah man good folks but really need to just get some donations to make this happen, and truthfully we need volunteers just as bad. I am planning to bring a tractor with FEL and we are also donating quite a bit of money in hopes of really getting this going, but we are a new club only formed in October of 2010 so there is only so much we can do, especially since most of our club is between the ages of 18-22

Can't believe there hasn't been any interest in this...

There are not as many active NC guys any more. When I first joined here back in '02 the majority of the SEC was in NC. I believe that other then you and a few others most of the NC guys just post on NC 4x4's board. There is also some stuff in the works behind the scenes so to speak. I will at the very least try and make the June workday, I doubt I'll make the May one because I have a lot going on at the end of this month.

I also have a lot going on this month, and cannot make the May workday, but I will be at the June workday, currently we are discussing bringing either a ford tractor or a kabota to help out, but the Kabota belongs to my uncle and so far he has said he isn't willing to let me borrow it, but said if he can come he will bring it and assist us.

Getting out and working on the trails while other people ride around isn't the most fun, thats for sure, but it has to be done, I dont agree with all of what needs done necessarily, but I know that if it isn't done, there may be repercussions.

Getting out and working on the trails while other people ride around isn't the most fun, thats for sure, but it has to be done, I dont agree with all of what needs done necessarily, but I know that if it isn't done, there may be repercussions.

I use to think the same thing but I think my attitude is changing. (I helped put up the guardrail on Kodak a few years ago.) Today the spiders that were growing to get around it back then have all but stopped. Hell I don't have a problem now with them being put up any where now as long as it helps keep it open.

Yeah kind of my thoughts, we put up a ton of guardrail at the last workday and it seems thats all we really do, and it really takes away from the look at feel of the forest.

I also think the forest service are lazy as hell and need to do their damn jobs, they actually asked the 4x4 Community to provide them a vehicle to patrol the trails with, and it was discussed, but they have atleast one ATV, aswell as one UTV, and they bitch about patrolling on them. Why should the community provide them a vehicle that they will probably get tired of using and let rot anyway? Multiple people sent information for them to apply for an M1008 or m1009 that would traverse most of URE with no problems, and they could get it for free, and the response was "Unless you feel like doing the paperwork, don't bother"
Seems that they need to hire someone more willing to do the job, I know if I was getting paid I wouldn't mind riding a 4 wheeler all day patrolling the forest, sounds like a great job to me.

At the same time, I don't want to lose URE and if that means I have to put up guardrail and donate a little cash a few times a year, I guess its worthwhile.

Last edited:
Just wanted to check in over here and say thanks for spreading the word about the Work Weekend. Every person that attends or donates is greatly appreciated. And its the individuals/clubs participating that make these work days, and work weekends possible. :cheers:

Thanks for taking on the task of trying to organize these needed evils. Having worked on more then one I know how they can go south quick.

Well its official. SEC NAXJA chapter is donating $300 towards the work weekend. Our National BOD is matching those funds with an Additional $300! So NAXJA is donating a total of $600 to this cause. I will be attending this work weekend unless something gets in the way. I would encourage you guys in Charlotte and NC area to try and show up.

Well its official. SEC NAXJA chapter is donating $300 towards the work weekend. Our National BOD is matching those funds with an Additional $300! So NAXJA is donating a total of $600 to this cause. I will be attending this work weekend unless something gets in the way. I would encourage you guys in Charlotte and NC area to try and show up.

This is awesome! Its greatly appreciated by everyone in the volunteering community that attends these workdays/work weekends. Thanks again!

Wow... Can't say enough, that is mind blowing, I had no idea NAXJA made commitments like that, actually seeing the membership money put to use like this, I will be a member for as long as NAXJA will have me.

The main goal of NAXJA is the support of land use issues. If you visit the Members Forum, you can find the details of previous donations. In fact, there is a recent thread that has a total of donations from the previous few years; it is quite impressive, to say the least.

In the past, the SEC financials were quite meager, thus we were not able to donate money to local land use issues. More recently, with the election of Mark, Ed and Glenn into the BOD, our chapter ledger has grown dramatically over the past few years (in fact, I believe that we are the only chapter that posts a treasurer report).

Here is the proposed work list. It isn't 100 percent but it covers the main projects.

badinlaketrailmapjunewo.jpg

Where ever you see a blue triangle with "!" is an area confirmed for us to be working in June. There are other possible areas that Terry Savery may flag before June, but the major ones are marked.

Dutch John:

2x Areas of Split Rail Fence: There is an area at the bottom of the hill climb, and a camping area near the beginning of the trails that split rail needs to be installed using a Bobcat with an Auger. There may be areas of guard rail install also not yet flagged.

2x Bridge Crossing Repaired/Replaced: There is one bridge that needs to be adjusted and 20 logs added to it. Half of the logs still have to be transported to the location. There is a 2nd bridge that needs to be removed and possibly rebuilt or a culvert installed. Both areas (especially the one with imbed logs) will require equipment work. There may also be areas that need to be worked over with rock.

1x Mud Hole Removal: There is an area of the trail that isn't draining correctly. The "berm" sides of the trail will be dozed down into the center of the trail raising it up to correct drainage. This will be a 2 machine job. There are also other possible areas were drainage ditches need to be repaired/modified.

Rocky Mnt Loop:

1x Bypass Widening: On Rocky Mnt. Loop the bypass around the ledge will be widened. This will take the use of a hydraulic breaker to create a matching slope to extend the bypass to the left, currently are rocks sticking out that will have to be broken up/removed.

There are other drainage issues that may be addressed. Including where there was contractor work done, but it still has turned into a mud hole.

Just about all this work will require closing off where we are working. We closed off parts of Dutch John the past workday, and will be doing the same this workday. I think the longest we had the trail blocked was 45 minutes to an hour. So we will need people directing traffic away from the area, and around the work area when its possible to let people pass.

I just got the 2 checks in the mail. I took pictures/documented them, and they will be going into my bank account. As soon as the checks clear I will be transferring the money via Paypal to Chris to pay for the Bobcat rentals. I was actually up at RS Braswell Bobcat today and found out the exact total (if we don't have to pay for any attachments) will be:

$1,316.97

The $600 from the SEC Chapter and National is a huge help in getting us to that goal. :)

Back