• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

difference between "spot" and "fluted" lights?

also, the 100watt ones are only $10 more but i was just wondering if my stock fog light wiring could handle these? and is there much of a difference?

fluted is your regular headlights, spot is your highbeams.

depends on what you want to use them for.

spot is a smaller area, that will be brighter, fluted is a large area that wont be as bright as the spot.

the xj comes with some decent lights stock, i would steer clear of the procomp 55w's, they are made in china.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lights-L...t_c=14&t_s=70&t_pt=4242&t_pl=8791&t_pn=K/C801

i have these, they are my main headlight, and made in good ole usa.

i sealed them up with hot glue, and they've been underwater at least a dozen times.

they work very well, if you are looking for deer, i would suggest the spot, not the fluted.

but, you will blind drivers coming from the other direction, so if it's a small 2 lane road, that might be a bad thing.

Picture120.jpg

i just noticed you posted about stock fog light wiring.

the lights that i linked you to, come with thier own wiring harness, you can run the stock foglights into the relay, and use that button to control the relay.

you wire two 10-12 gauge wires to the positive and negitive terminals, respectively.

it is alot easier than i am making it sound.

yeah, i don't want to spend alot though. i just heard from a few guys that the pro comps were not bad lights. and i'm not too worried about getting them under water. just looking for something that is gonna outshine the stock headlights a bit to light up the ditch. i'm assuming that a 5 or 6 inch round light(even the cheapo ones) will light up the ditch a bit better than the shitty stock headlights?

would you say that these ones are better than the pro comp 6" 100w spot lights? they are definately cheaper but i'm not looking for something that cheap if they are not of some quality.

well, i had two of the chinese procomps for about a week before the supplied harness melted to itself, and the driver side bulb went three times in that week.

the 20 buck ones didn't give me any problems.

i had a bad experience with procomp, 4 wheel parts fixed it up for me, but pro comp hotline didn't want to help me at all try to find out what hte problem was, so i cant really speak for any other pro-comp lights.

the KC's have been great too, they were 100 bucks more than the procomps i had, but well worth the money.

if i could do it all over again, i would have sealed the 20 dollar lights with the upgraded bulbs, or went ahead and saved my money on the KC lights.

the 20 buck ones with the 100w k5's that i had were brighter than stock headlights.

i would buy any product made by KC, i was thoughly impressed with the ease of installation, the quality of the accessories that came with it, and how well the beams were sealed from the factory, i haven't bought the 100w daylighters though, so i cant vouch for that particular product.

i dont want to be a web wheeler and say it's good or bad without having actually used it.

Wow... ok I'm not going to read this entire thread...

Lights: Spot vs. Fluted. A spot has a clean clear lense that is just that, a spot light, longer distance, less spread, pretty useless.

Fluted lenses are the little lines you see in certain lenses, often a euro beam or a fog rather than a pencil beam (spot) These are going to provide more usable light for what you're going to do.

I'm assuming you mean aftermarket auxiliary lights, not replacement lights.

And mscans... The xj did NOT come with decent lights from the factory... you're high :laugh:

Back