• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A big thanks to....

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Bill and Helen, Brendon, Tim and Ethen, and Brett for helping out on the 2N04 maintenance! It was a hard days work but was worth it.

And to everybody else... Where were you? :lecture:

Man, i was really looking forward to trail cleanup day, but i didn't realize that it was happening so early in the morning on Friday, so i didn't plan to take off work. I FORE SURE would love to be involved in one though, I'd like to feel a part of keeping trails open for us to ride.

I would like to recommend that the trail maintenance day be moved to Sunday.

Yeah you've had a good turnout in the past on Fridays but I think you would have a better turnout, overall, if the trail maintenance was scheduled for Sunday.

As for myself, a last minute schedule change with Sonia's work, screwed up our plans.

Any thoughts on moving ForestFest back to Earth Day weekend?

karstic said:
I would like to recommend that the trail maintenance day be moved to Sunday.

Yeah that's something to consider. It hasnt' been a problem until now but it may end up being a theme of things to come.

karstic said:
Any thoughts on moving ForestFest back to Earth Day weekend?

I'd be fine with that, I generally prefer the event be in late April over early May. In fact that was my first idea for this year...

maybe switch the trail maintenance day to Sunday so that more ppl can be available. If I went to bb, I would have only been able to take a half day on Friday.

Whoops...karstic beat me to it

if we moved the event up to mid april we could posibly get another event in about 4th of july time up in big bear since I know most of us like it up there during the summer.

I second that, and 100% agree with a Sunday trail maintenance! By Sunday most of us are tired, and just want a very slow run anyhow, so stopping to pick up along the trail, take in scenery and stretch our legs on a relaxing trail run / maintenance day would fit the bill nicely.

dzraces said:
if we moved the event up to mid april we could posibly get another event in about 4th of july time up in big bear since I know most of us like it up there during the summer.

Mid-April will be colder!

Big Bear is awesome for July 4th, but it is packed!!!! campgrounds are full and lot's of off-roaders, motorcycles, & people. Also, there is the Jeep Jamboree that usually goes on sometime in late June or early July.

I tried to make it up there. With all the stops and the load I was carrying I didn't make to Serrano till 10 or so. By that time I was way too late. My bad.

rpraterxj said:
Mid-April will be colder!

Big Bear is awesome for July 4th, but it is packed!!!! campgrounds are full and lot's of off-roaders, motorcycles, & people. Also, there is the Jeep Jamboree that usually goes on sometime in late June or early July.
so robert you wana make reservations now or what?

dzraces said:
so robert you wana make reservations now or what?

Sure... I will take a cabin again... :cheers: nothing like a day on the trail, BBQ & raffle, freezing your butt off, then going back to a warm cabin with a jacuzzi!

rpraterxj said:
Sure... I will take a cabin again... :cheers: nothing like a day on the trail, BBQ & raffle, freezing your butt off, then going back to a warm cabin with a jacuzzi with a bunch of other guys in it!
Fixed for you Robert.

I was there? Oh, wait...you're right. I must have lost my short term memory in the '80s but I don't remember that either. Hmmmm....

:D

Big Bear is packed most weekends during the summer. Hundreds of clubs have events just like the :NAXJA:NAXJANAXJA event last weekend.

The busiest 4x4 weekends are:

May 18-19-20 Jeep Jamboree
http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/images/events/JJUSA010E.jpg

Memorial Day weekend

June 15-16-17 Big Bear Forest Fest
http://www.ie4w.com/
http://ie4w.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=d223b435992e865638d0c6cdba0da9d8

July 4 is on a Wednesday this year. Most likely both the weekend before and after will be busy.

Labor Day weekend

I try to avoid the busiest weekends. We typically do not run Holcomb Creek or John Bull during the summer. I have seen waits of 3-4 hours for John Bull and Holcomb Creek on the busiest weekends.

We reserve group campgrounds for larger groups and use Yellow Post sites for smaller groups. Serrano is already filling up for most weekends until Labor Day.

I will be in Big Bear with TTORA, Lost KJs and So Cal 4x4 Geocachers this summer. Depending on if and when a 2nd NAXJANAXJA:NAXJA: date is set I would add another run.

Back