• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Ticket!

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
I passed the Technician exam for an Amateur Radio license.

Time to start looking for a radio

Pick up a 2 meter mobile rig for the jeep. Lots of power and cheap. I got one on Ebay (almost new) for $80.

Have fun
KG6PLC

karstic said:
I passed the Technician exam for an Amateur Radio license.

Time to start looking for a radio
Congrats! I highly recommend dual band units. Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom would probably be my top 3 choices.

motorola-t5720-gmrs-frs-2-way-radio-pair-aa-batteries-_B00009LI51.jpg

This is what I have. Works great too!

Sure!

When I'm in Vegas ;)

How was the test?
I want to get mine, but they dont offer it here...
Ive taken a shat load of those practice exams online and i do fairly well.

creeperjeep said:
How was the test?
Where don't they offer it? Kuwait? You might want to ask around, there might be couple hams with VE priveleges in the service that could set you up with the test.

Congratulations! I thoroughly enjoy Amateur Radio as a hobby and am looking forward to taking it off-road with me!

As for those looking to take the test - it's not difficult. The FCC gives the actual exam question pool out for you to study the actual questions that will be on the test. Why do they do this? Although you may just memorize questions and answers and pass the test, you will still have gained facts that you will come to understand with the use of your radio. The FCC has also passed new rules and there is no longer any morse code testing required for any level of amateur radio license.

If you are having trouble finding a volunteer examiner group to administer a test in your area, get in touch with the Amateur Radio Relay League (ARRL) at http://www.arrl.org for assistance in finding a club in your area. Talk to the members of the club and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you out.

congrats! I'm looking to take the test soon as well. Where did you take it?

:yelclap: KD6FLO here --- get a 2 meter/440 mhz dual band for the jeep ---- most used freqs.

go to ham radio outlet in anaheim and talk to them about the "condor connection" this is a system of repeaters covering most of calif/nev/ariz

my units are not set up right now (just moved) --- look for ya on the air in a few weeks

karstic said:
Good for you ,Stephan, and welcome to the brotherhood of amateur radio!

<voice=crackly old>I remember when I passed my novice and waited 6 long weeks for my ticket. Of course there was no internet back then, and no VECs. We put together radios with stone knives and bear skins ;) <,/voice>

I have a FT1400 in the Jeep. Good solid radio, but I have never had the opportunity to use it while off-roading. Due to the number of open frequencies in this area, few wander far from CB, FRS, or GMRS around here.

The code requirement is history now, long live morse code, so you should have no problem advancing through the ranks.

73's de WB9YZU

creeperjeep said:
How was the test?
They are not bad.
Thay are certainly not as hard as they used to be, and the Technician has been no-code for years. The code requirement is history for all levels of Amateur Radio examinations Tech though Advanced.
Check with the ARRL for a club in your area that does VEC testing. Often VEC testing is also done at Hamfests and the ARRL can point you towards one of those also.
Link: http://www.arrl.org
Ron

Back