• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are the later computers VIN specific?

Cavalry

NAXJA Forum User
This XJ i am working on (00) came with 2 computers for some reason. Truck seems to work fine on either one. Are they specific to the VIN of the truck or dosent it matter?

About the only thing I can think of that might make it 'vin' specific between models *might* be the distibutor vs 3 coil pack but thats about all I could think of, an older ecu might not know or handle correctly the firing but then again it might.

Cavalry said:
This XJ i am working on (00) came with 2 computers for some reason. Truck seems to work fine on either one. Are they specific to the VIN of the truck or dosent it matter?
The other possibility is if the total mileage is recorded by the computer and so it will not match the digital speedo

langer1 said:
The other possibility is if the total mileage is recorded by the computer and so it will not match the digital speedo

I am pretty sure that on must new cars mileage is recorded forwhatever reason in the computer as well.

if the mileage is recorded in there what other info is?

The late controllers store VIN, total mileage, and if the vehicle has the SKIS immobiliser sysrem, they store secret key data whic will not allow the vehicle to be run until the controller has been matched to the SKIS module.

Back