• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TORXFest 2012

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
I'll let the Torx report tell the story, I'll just post my pictures.

torxandcathy.jpg

torxfest.jpg

The usual group at the top of Hogsback

hogsbackgroup.jpg

dellscanopenerparking.jpg

jasoncanopener.jpg

aaronwaterfall.jpg

alyssawaterfall.jpg

radios.jpg

scalecrawler.jpg

bentleav.jpg

jeremyrockgarden.jpg

rutherford.jpg

what happens at torxfest stays at torxfest
If only that were true...

TORXreport: TORXFest 2012

Words by, TORX
Pictures by, TORX and Dellstopjeep's Wife

I rolled out of Vancouver, Friday afternoon. After almost having to pull over because of the intensity of the rain, I came to gridlock on I5. I was starting to wonder if this was a sign of what was to come.
IMG_0004.jpg

Traffic ate up about 45 minutes, but once on 26 it opened up. Going over the top of Rutherford Road there were patches of snow on the sides, but the road was clear. I really didn't feel like doing any snow blasting on the way in.

After dropping into Horse Camp, I was relieved people actually had shown up for this event. Nick, Ryan, Aaron, Chris, Josh, and Jeremy had gotten there earlier and had already set up. Shortly after I arrived, Curtis, Nick, Patrick, SP, and the Dellstop's showed up. We had a full house.

This is what I remember happening Friday-

• Aaron Barnes gives TORX an inflatable Cow for his birthday
  • Cathy the Cow is passed around.
  • Shotgunning #1 takes place.
  • Ryan shares his Sinfire Whiskey (o.m.g.)
  • Nick breaks the top off OrangeJeep's bottle of Hef, and laughs
  • Aaron shares his Honey Whiskey
  • Nick starts knocking peoples beer's out of there hand, and laughs
  • Shotgunning #2 takes place.
  • Ryan pours 33.8oz of water down TORX's bibs
  • TORX removes the bibs and is pissed.
  • IMG_0009.jpg
  • Chris thinks he's having a heart attack
  • Shotgunning #3 takes place.
  • TORX goes on an overland Safari
  • Dellstopjeep's Wife goes MIA visiting the Sex Palace
  • Streetpirate swears he had nothing to do with it.
  • TORX kicks Jeremy in his head.
  • Jeremy retaliates.
  • TORX and Jeremy rejoin forces.
  • TORX is asked if he like's apple juice
  • TORX went down for the count

Saturday:

I was very relieved to find myself in my own tent. Never mind the 15lbs of dirt I managed to drag in with me, or the deflated Thermarest I never blew up. I heard the sound of a Jeep roll in, so I figured I'd better get up not having a clue what time it was. I was surprised to have to knock a few inches of snow off the tent door first.

By 10:00 we had a pretty good sized group of day trippers ready to hit the trails. It was nice to see some new faces come out for TORXFest, and many of the usual PDX crew suspects as well.

After standing around and talking about leaving, Jeremy and Ryan finally took the lead and rolled out. I took up the passenger seat in Crazymoose's freshly built late model. I was definitely looking for comfort that day.

Once we gained some elevation it snowed pretty much all day.
IMG_9200.jpg

Little to no issues on Hoodraiser. I could have definitely done without the constant wave effect of the water bars. A few of the hills required you to keep your momentum up.
IMG_9207.jpg

Never got a vehicle count, but we had a pretty decent sized group. Finished Hoodraiser with little to no issues.
IMG_9203.jpg

We made our way up to Hogsback. AwesomeXJ.
IMG_9215.jpg

Dellstopjeep even got some seat time in.
IMG_9221.jpg

Never got his name, but this XJ tagged along with us all day, and tackled everything it was thrown at.
IMG_9257.jpg

Some of the Strawberry Hill crew came out to roll with us.
IMG_9252.jpg

OrangepeelTJ
IMG_9268.jpg

Crazymoose.
IMG_9274.jpg

Once at the top, we had to get out and talk about it some more.
IMG_9277.jpg

Still snowing.
IMG_9289.jpg

more to come...

Bed time for Eric, and Alyssa took over driving duties.
IMG_9293.jpg

We continued on down to the bypass for Rocky Uphill. I almost think this route is more of a challenge than going down notsoRocky Uphill. It has a sharp cut out v-notch. Swing it wide, and it gets tippy.

NW99XJ put this theory to the test. His back passenger tire must have come off the ground a good 2.5 to 3 feet. It was one of those moments where I wanted to do something, but all I could do was watch.
IMG_0016.jpg

We all made it down the bypass with no issues. Next was Canopener. Normally we all try and recruit someone to run it, but usually nobody actually does. This time Jeremy told Crazymoose to run it, and next thing I know we're heading up!
IMG_9296.jpg

I didn't think we'd get half as far as we did, but with Jason's driving, and Nick's spotting we actually came close to getting up the ledge. I have to give props to Jason for flogging his junk, very cool.
IMG_9310.jpg

After Jason got turned around, the group continued down Archers to Waterfall. Jeremy at the top.
IMG_9345.jpg

I hopped out, and ran up hoping to get some pictures. By the time I ran up there, Alyssa, and a few others had already walked the right line.

Crazymoose.
IMG_0025.jpg

10:1 getting it done.
IMG_0031.jpg

Nick is still infatuated with making the far left. He tried it again and got denied when he bent a main leaf :cough:ditchtherelocationbrackets:cough:.
IMG_0033.jpg

After everyone got their chance at Waterfall, and Nick winched out we ran the rest of Archers. Jeremy and Jason tried the Rock Garden without any luck.

Much safer inside the Jeep.
IMG_9365.jpg

Chris was feeling a bit cool in his pants.
IMG_9367.jpg

Pure joy.
IMG_9370.jpg

We eventually got turned around, and cruised the road back to camp.

more to come...

We got back to camp, got the fire going and settled in to relax. It was looking like it was going to be a quiet night, but then BPB rolled into camp in his Subaru. Yes, BPB came out to TORXFest just to visit for a few hours. Heck of a guy!

As the night went on we stoked the fire just a little bit.
IMG_0034.jpg

Aaron was feeling a bit chilled. This got him $16 and one expired Chalupa coupon. Not Jeremy with fire extinguisher, safety first folks!
IMG_0040.jpg

Jeremy taking a bit of a short cut.
IMG_0041.jpg

Everyone has that one perverted Uncle...
IMG_0045.jpg

Saturday night was a good time, and a great one for others. I headed to my tent around 0130 to find that it had collapsed (tent pole had fractured) under the snow load. We'd only gotten a few inches, but it had become saturated adding a considerable amount of weight. Luckily we drive XJ's so I wadded up the tent, and camped out in the Nail Salon.

Sunday morning we all broke camp.
IMG_9383.jpg

Aired up.
IMG_9388.jpg

We headed out around 11:00. Those of us who didn't tow headed up Rutherford to connect with 6. I was leading and quickly discovered I would be breaking trail over the top. Nothing like some last minute wheeling on the way out.

Convoying back.
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Probably not a good idea.
IMG_9435.jpg

Overall is was an entertaining trip. The NWC is quite the dysfunctional family, but somehow we make it work.

Thank you to everyone who made it out.

As the group departed camp on Saturday morning I started to head home and immediately encountered NW-ZJ-SCOTT showing up a little late to the party. At this time I realized that the steam coming from my hood was possibly more than just the snow melting(this was supported by the readings from my temp gauge). I quickly drove back to camp and checked under the hood. Yes, the third surge tank I've bought in the last 5k miles deformed to the point of not sealing to the cap. While scott unloaded the zj from his trailer I sat in my rig while it cooled down and applied first aid to the areas of skin I removed falling down drunk the previous night. If anyone noticed that their water jugs were lighter when they returned from wheeling, my bad. after adding about a gallon and a half to the cooling system and getting the surge tank cap on just the right amount, I headed home to oregon city. I actually made it within 7 miles of my house when the surge tank spit off the cap and coated I205 with diluted antifreeze. Luckily AAA tow trucks were standing by and I only sat on the side of the road for 15 minutes before a friendly yet toothless tj owning tow truck driver arrived to take me and the sex palace home. I think it's time for a metal Mac's Radiator surge tank.

Oh, are we posting pictures from the campfire? :compwork:

Just before shotgun #1. I think I figured out how Nick cut his thumb.

nicksfinger.jpg

TORX kicking Jeremy in the head.

torxkicking.jpg

Perverted uncle.

poorchris.jpg

Shotgun #2

shotgun2.jpg

Torx picking up some dirt for the tent.

torxchairs.jpg

Looking for "WIFE!"

WIFE.jpg

Perverted uncle

helpingupchris.jpg

Torx taking a breather

torxasleep.jpg

TORXFest 2012 (PART 1)

Kinda late to the party guys (sorry) ...all the narration has already been done, so here's the goods from my POV (didn't get much)....
Chillin 'round the camp fire
TORXFEST2012002.jpg

The "my flashlight is brighter than yours" game was played all night:
TORXFEST2012004.jpg

Some ol guy came to hang out - ended up being pretty cool.
TORXFEST2012003.jpg

Didnt take long for the passing out to start: (is that a little somethin' on your chin there?)
TORXFEST2012001.jpg

I dont think Aaron thought torx was drunk enough so the whiskey was "insisted"
TORXFEST2012011.jpg

That led to torx making sure the bushes were held down right:
TORXFEST2012005.jpg

This wanst going to go without a swift mounting of course....but a boot to the head changed things:
TORXFEST2012006.jpg

Backup was called:
TORXFEST2012007.jpg

And the first annual "torx in the bushes joy ride" was born:
TORXFEST2012008.jpg

Back