• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DOM Tube now available at Ruffstuff!

Dan Fredrickson

NAXJA Forum User
I resisted selling DOM Tube for 5 years, and for what I thought was a pretty good reason.

My reasoning was the high cost of shipping heavy, longer items. 2" X .25 Wall DOM weighs nearly 8lbs a foot! The weight of a set of links quickly adds up. When you add the cost of shipping to even what seems to be a great deal online the benefits of the low price quickly disolve. What seems to be a high price within driving distance may become a bargain.

The problem was as time went by I noticed many other companies selling tube at what were stupidly high prices and they were actually selling. Well I've finally decided I can do better than that!

DOM%20tube%20stock%201.jpg

What is common business practice is to mark up your shipping price and make it profitable also. I see shipping as a cost of doing business and we charge what it actually costs us. We don't sell shipping, we sell parts! So here's what we're going to to. We are going to actually discount UPS shipping on tube to the extent of the discount we receive. We are also going to pick out one of our competitors and simply price our tube 10% less than theirs, unless they charge way too much! If thats the case we will lower tube prices even further, and I have just the company in mind ;)

Since I wrote this I priced our tube VS the other guys I was pretty shocked by the prices they are charging. One company wants $1.90 an inch for 2" X .25" wall which is pretty much the standard link tube size. The other company wants $18 a foot, lower but still in the absurd price range! So, my estimation of 10% less was way off, we are at least 15% lower in every tube size for the first foot. The 2" X .25" tube on our site is available for $3.50 less a foot and available in 6" increments so you don't need to buy a foot more if you only need 6" more. Also, that price will only apply to the first foot to cover the cutting cost, every additional length to the size you need is ~ another 10% less so the final cost is very fair.

The shipping you may be charged will likely be wrong so if it gets out of this world give us a call to order, no matter, we will give you a call and let you know the actual cost to ship, thanks!

I assume you are asking about the 2" x .25 wall? If you need thicker I would suggest Taylor Hansen at Heretic Fab and get his 2" X .25" wall Heat treated chromoly. The shipping alone makes them a better choice but in HT Chromoly they are as strong as 2.25 x .375...

Any chance of 1"x0.25" or 1.5"x0.5"? I would use this for limit strap and steering box mounting sleeves through the frame rails. MetalsDepot wants $27 for the small stuff and $64 for the big stuff (2' in each case.)

I'm in no hurry, current build is too ghetto for limit straps and I boogered up a steering box spacer from stacks of quarter inch plate, but the next build is going to be done proper from the start.

Ordered some last night, Thanks

Any chance of 1"x0.25" or 1.5"x0.5"? I would use this for limit strap and steering box mounting sleeves through the frame rails. MetalsDepot wants $27 for the small stuff and $64 for the big stuff (2' in each case.)

I'm in no hurry, current build is too ghetto for limit straps and I boogered up a steering box spacer from stacks of quarter inch plate, but the next build is going to be done proper from the start.
Yes, we keep the 1 x .25 around for Shock bungs and can sell tou whatever size you actually need.

Finally!!!!!!!! I bought about 140' over a few months and really got discouraged by my local metal dealers business practices. Depending on who I talked to, I got a different price. Then if I payed cash, they might give me a different price( I think they were pocketing the cash so I called the owner). Buying metal is like buying from a used car salesman. You have always been great ( and HONEST)to buy from so I will be buying all my tubing from you. Xj tube doors here I come.

Finally!!!!!!!! I bought about 140' over a few months and really got discouraged by my local metal dealers business practices. Depending on who I talked to, I got a different price. Then if I payed cash, they might give me a different price( I think they were pocketing the cash so I called the owner). Buying metal is like buying from a used car salesman. You have always been great ( and HONEST)to buy from so I will be buying all my tubing from you. Xj tube doors here I come.
Thanks!

I am fairly suprised at how well this has caught on, I would still always try and get it close to home first and without the shipping cost it still may be a better deal...
This is the real answer, show them locally what you can get it for online, let them charge you a bit more to cover shipping but use your newfound leverage against them. They can make money selling it to you for less, just not that much ;)

BTW, we even drove our competitors to finally sell theirs for a fair price...We stil beat them on shipping though :)

This is the real answer, show them locally what you can get it for online, let them charge you a bit more to cover shipping but use your newfound leverage against them. They can make money selling it to you for less, just not that much ;)

BTW, we even drove our competitors to finally sell theirs for a fair price...We stil beat them on shipping though :)
Thats right, they are now bragging about how cheap they are an how eveyone else is expensive but a month ago they said they had to charge that much because DOM was soooo expensive ;)

If we forced the other guys to bring their prices down to earth so much the better!

If those other guys finally lowered their price back down to earth I wil claim the credit for it...

Our prices are fair, from day 1 :) Not just when a competitor forced me to lower them to a sane level...our prices hae always been sane ;)

Back