• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Campout: 8/12 - 8/15

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Another great TSF run this weekend. It was a little dusty, and a little warm, but I still had an awesome time. I think on Saturday we had 9 rigs total. Hopefully there will be some good pictures and stories posted later.

I'll get my report up later.

I honestly had doubts of even making this trip due to the recent mods I decided to do to the Jeep, days before I was suppose to leave. However, somehow I managed to track down the needed parts, find my mistakes, and get it all buttoned back together in time to head out Thursday morning.

I rolled into Browns Camp around noon to meet up with Rod, Dave, Ryan, and Steven. Shortly after setting up camp we set out to hit a trail or two. Firebreak Five to Saddle Up was the plan.

Steven (Shermellow) coming up past the Rock of Doom on FB5.
IMG_0118.jpg

Ryan (nightfoam)
IMG_0120.jpg

Dave (GlueNTape) making the climb up Saddle Up
IMG_0123.jpg

Thursday's trail ride was a bit uneventful, so we came up with a sick and twisted route for Friday. Rod, Dave, Steven, and I set out mid morning for Waterfall, the first obstacle of the day.

Rod (mojojojo) felt the urge to try the middle "face" line on Waterfall.
IMG_0128.jpg

License plate suffered some carnage.
IMG_0130.jpg

To make the line would take some serious commitment, and with it being the first obstacle of the day he played it safe and crawled the left side.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Dave making his way through the Gatekeeper.
IMG_0134.jpg

Taking the left side.
IMG_0136.jpg

ARB issues forced him to take the strap.
IMG_0138.jpg

Steven wanted to try the right "corner" side.
IMG_0143.jpg

Even with it being so dry out, you really needed lockers both front and rear to make it up easily. With an open front and mystery rear locker, Steven suffered the same fate as Dave (getting pulled up by Rod (n)).
IMG_0142.jpg

I was last to go and decided to try the right side as well. I'm sure someone has some pics or video of my run.

So after Waterfall, it was just Rod and I battling it out for the top spot. Some friendly competition started to develop. The next obstacle on the list was Canopener.

Some more rock had been placed in the bottom filter, but it was still passable with the right line. Rod walked through it with ease, but I somehow managed to find every possible rock to get hung up on. I didn't get any pictures, but lets just say at one point we had the high lift out, winch cable hooked up, and four people standing around scratching their heads. Thanks to everyone's efforts I got my junk free, and we both headed for the top obstacle.

Rod
IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Dave did an excellent job spotting him, and he made it look actually semi easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxkNgNBeVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXXXcAysQIo

Then it was my turn :D... once again I found every single rock to get hung up on, and called Warn in for some more assistance. I still had a blast running it, and it was probably the highlight of the trip. There's just something about staring at the sky while trying to climb a ledge.

With Canopener behind us we set off for Rocky Uphill. Rod still trying to one up me.
IMG_0151.jpg

Dave found himself between a rock and a hard place. The good news is he has a cool new exhaust tone.
IMG_0152.jpg

Mini Rubicon was the last obstacle of the day. With the area being recently logged, the trail was completely different from how we remembered it. It was hard to find the line we had always taken.
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tlx2if8AWw

After almost testing the jungle gym Rod backed down and decided today wasn't his day. Sensing the opportunity to make things even between us, I gave it a go and made it up the left side. My rear passenger door now has a new story to tell, but none the less I made it up. Someone better have some evidence.

Well, I have no pictures. I wanted to say thanks for the day of wheeling with you guys and your patience when my stuff broke haha. I officially went to test all the junk I had done to it as most know its been quite a few things lately. Test I did, and broke yep did that to. My carnage wasn't bad at all but it was still a pain and a major hindrance on the day. First ordeal was my rather odd hit on this rock which bent the living mess out of my drag link. Dustin had a small bottle jack that we used along with a piece of nice firewood we found laying around the trail and I jacked the rod back into a semi original state....still way off...haha. That had me worried but I finished the trail and proceeded on FB5. As I rolled into the trail I found on the first downhill section that my foot went straight to the floor.....no breaks! I managed to stop it and jump out to find my nice new stainless braided line was sheered off at the connection up top. So I crimped the line and topped off the fluid (thanks Dustin for the Dot3!) I wheeled the rest of FB5 except the last top section. After that I didn't wheel anything hard seeings as the drivers side brake line had been snagged by the tire as well when at full stuff/turn. I really didn't want to be left with just rear brakes. Thanks again guys for the good time. I now have some stuff to fix and upgrade and fine tune. I also got clearance from the tower to upgrade the steering!

Friday evening John (Bronzewyrm) joined us at camp. A few of us didn't have enough excitement for the day, so Ryan led us on a quick night run on Powerline, Hood Raiser, and Hogs Back.

Saturday morning rolled around rather quickly, and a few more people joined the group. Joey (FiveNDime) brought out his XJ for it's first wheeling shakedown run. Nick (nickfast) came out in the new TJ, and Dave (99redxjbuilder) brought out the YJ.

We rolled out around 10:00 with a group of 9 rigs. Cedar Tree trail was first on the list to ease us into the day. A rock snuck up on Joey (FiveNDime) and tagged his drag link, which put a nice quality bend in it. We stopped at the end of the first section to try and fix it. We used a jack to get the drag link pretty close to straight. It was still drivable, but definitely was a bummer.

We caught back up with the group, and made our way to Firebreak Five again. The bad luck streak still wasn't done with Joey though. Coming down a short hill he discovered he no longer had brakes. Turns out the brake line tried to hitch a ride on the lug of the tire. After another quick trail repair we were on out way again.

Luckily no more issues for the rest of the day. The group carried on up the trail, and had lunch at Saddle Up. Some of us ran it down.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

After Saddle Up it was onto Airplane Hill where Rod and I decided to settle our competition. Here's Dave giving the filter a go. Without a front locker it just wasn't happening.

IMG_0163.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of the main obstacle in the middle, but both Rod and I made it up pretty easily. It was so dry, traction wasn't even an issue. As long as you kept your diffs clear, you were golden.

After Airplane hill we dropped down to Hogsback, and then had a long dusty drive back to camp. Most people left Saturday afternoon/evening, but Dave, Rod, and I stayed one more night.

We somehow had the brightest camp fire in the campground that night. :D

IMG_0174.jpg

Like I said before, this was another great trip. Thanks to all who made it out.

Mf'er stole 1/2 a pound of trail mix, and six (yes 6!) hamburger buns from me!

IMG_0124-1.jpg

Dustin I have never heard you use such coarse language. :laugh3: To be fare you should now be able to roast him and his family over the fire to feed yourself.

Dustin I have never heard you use such coarse language. :laugh3: To be fare you should now be able to roast him and his family over the fire to feed yourself.

Oh, he was definitely ready to eat him, the trap was set and everything. Of course Dustin wanted to put his head on a stake as a warning to the others....

The Thursday run with Dave, Rod, Dustin and Steve

DaveFB5thurs.jpg

DustinFB5flowerth.jpg

steveFB5th.jpg

Friday and led a few out-of-towners and a whirlwind run of Powerline, University Firepower, Cedar Tree, FB5, Saddle Up, Hogsback and several sections of Archers Firebreak. It was nice to wheel with a variety of rigs and see their strengths and weaknesses

FJCSaddleup.jpg

briansaddleup.jpg

briansaddleup2.jpg

hogsbackviewpoint.jpg

The night run on Friday

dustinhogsback.jpg

Last edited:
Back