• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steens Mountain/Alvord Desert Sept 24-26 2010

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
Not as much a wheeling trip as an adventure. Definitely some 4x4ing to be done, also, flat open deserts, the highest road in the state, some really good burgers and very few people.

Meet in Burns Friday (24th) morning and head down to Steens Mountain to do the loop and check out the sights (falls colors should already be coming out) then head down to Fields and the Alvord Desert where we'll hopefully camp on the playa. Then we'll have as much time (two, three more days?) to explore the region including old mining roads, remote mountain roads and several differnent hot springs in the area.

You'll need to be capable of lots of miles, highway, back way and rough trails. Have plenty of money for lots of gas (Fields is the only place around and its usually 50 cents to a dollar more a gallon)

Its a lot of work but its a beautiful region, so many sights that are so different than the west side of the Cascades that we're used to.

Whorehouse Meadow in the fall

backpack-steens-whorehouse.jpg

The Alvord Desert from Steens Mountain

20EastRimPano2.jpg

Sunset over the Alvord Desert and Steens Mountain

42Jamessunset.jpg

I think I'm in. Maybe. We'll see. But I'd like to go.

Not Darren. He wishes he could go though.

Last call, we're meeting Thursday at Noon in Brooks to head down and over the pass. Camping at Glass Buttes Thursday night then Alvord Friday and Saturday.

Back