• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bat shit on the windshield

They imported a few hundred of them in the 1999-2000 era, but that was it. Mine is a Renix, and as far as I know its the only one in the country.

It probably doesn't solve your problem, but I can't see that there'd be much if any difference in windshield between a 99-2000 and your Renix. Any of those imported ones laying around in a scrapyard?

Otherwise, think 8Mud and the others are on to something with thinking out of the box.

I know that this thread is pretty old now, but I wanted to share the conclusion to this episode.....first trip down, I took some cerium oxide polish, made by 3M. I used a buffer on an electric drill. After working it for hours, and not making progress I took it to a local detailer, and the owner set a guy buffing for about 2 days (not exaggerating)........ Marginal improvement at best.

So............next trip.......... I bought a new windsheild at a autoglass place in California. Built a box, and checked it in with American Airlines. The part I was worried about was getting it through Brazilian customs......... sweating like a drug smuggler I walked right through customer.....didn't get checked!

So after 2 more internal flights, and a 5 hour car ride I got it (in one piece) to the vehicle in question.

If you find yourself with bat streaks on your windsheild, its not worth the effort of trying to buff them out. Mine were deep etchings, and it required a new windshield.

The great part is the jeep now looks awesome! I had it resprayed and it looks like a million bucks.

view

Awesome.

I might have tried a blow torch to soften the glass like a glass blower. Pretty sure a glass maker could have figured it out???

Congrats on your success. :D

I know that this thread is pretty old now, but I wanted to share the conclusion to this episode.....first trip down, I took some cerium oxide polish, made by 3M. I used a buffer on an electric drill. After working it for hours, and not making progress I took it to a local detailer, and the owner set a guy buffing for about 2 days (not exaggerating)........ Marginal improvement at best.

So............next trip.......... I bought a new windsheild at a autoglass place in California. Built a box, and checked it in with American Airlines. The part I was worried about was getting it through Brazilian customs......... sweating like a drug smuggler I walked right through customer.....didn't get checked!

So after 2 more internal flights, and a 5 hour car ride I got it (in one piece) to the vehicle in question.

If you find yourself with bat streaks on your windsheild, its not worth the effort of trying to buff them out. Mine were deep etchings, and it required a new windshield.

The great part is the jeep now looks awesome! I had it resprayed and it looks like a million bucks.

Awesome.

I might have tried a blow torch to soften the glass like a glass blower. Pretty sure a glass maker could have figured it out???

Congrats on your success. :D

Safety glass has a plastic inner layer, it wont take kindly to the high heat I am pretty sure of that. further the glass if not safety glass will still need to be heated evenly, in its entirety slowly, else it will break. hots spots will expand more than cold spots, and that will crack it. a large slow heating oven will be required. do not put a torch to a windshield!

Worst case scenario is that you replace the windshield. It's under $200 around here, and more than likely the adhesive holding it in place is dried to the point you'll get leaks anyway.

I was gonna say I think I paid $120 last time I did a windshield. Cheap enough to not stress over

Back