• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time sensitive! Looking at buying a XJ

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to try and find out if the head has ever been replaced. Its good to learn that the emissions wont be as bad now. Does that mean I could delete the upper two cats and still pass smog in CA? As far as price I am going to start low, but like I said I wont pay more than 5500. They body is straight, no rust, paint is decent, and the interior is in good shape too.

Smog in california.. late cars with the obd systems have test done by reading the obd codes for errors, AND an inspection for all required smog equipment, that includes catalysts that must be the pricey california type, yes they will read the part numbers to confirm that. the late xjs in Calif. have three cats and several,oxygen sensors, all must be functional, else a code comes up which will fail a smog test.

early xjs like my 1990 with Renix injection have no obd system, no codes to read so these get a dyno test, and inspection for all required smog parts. If the cat is new, it must be the new California type, although an original cat can still be used. the early jeeps require only one cat, and one oxygen sensor, and the smog limits are higher than later cars.

a stroker motor in an early xj can pass, just make sure their are no outwards signs of modification, make sure it is tuned well, and that the cat is in good condition, then it should pass the dyno and equipment tests just fine.

I have an older pre obd van with a big bore piston set, and it passes smog just fine on the dyno cause it is tuned well and has a good cat, and is not missing any smog equipment, and looks stock from the outside.

Sure the late xj in california does not need the dyno test, but with three cats, and at least three O2 senders, it can be a lot more pricey to replace failed parts, and of course the engine bay runs a good deal hotter with two of them cats under the hood.

I personally prefer the early XJs

also the early seat style has an advantage for my friends adult son. He wears a cowboy type hat, and says the headrest in the 2001 interferes with the brim, but not so in my 1990 do to the adjustable height headrest

yippie yi ah!

The one good thing about the ‘00s and ‘01s in California is that they no longer have to pass the sniffer test when smogged every other year, which sets them apart from all previous years.

No free lunch here. To past the California smog test, for 2000 year and newer, there can be no CELs and all the ECM’s internal tests must be completed, the ECM basically tests itself.
If it isn’t running clean, it will have CELs or not all of the internal tests will be completed. A better scanner can show what internal tests have been.

I ended up not buying the XJ. Couldnt get it for what I wanted to pay. Maybe I'm better off. Thanks for all your help and input everyone!

Just be patient and keep looking. The right deal will eventually come along.

Back