• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Steering Column Repair

kornfan6589

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 4.0 Auto 4wd XJ; Steering column squeaks when you turn slow. More when its cold out. It also has some vertical play in it. In other cars ive resolved this by rebuilding the column, normally an upper and lower bearing and maybe a seal or two. But in my factory parts book, theres no listings on any of these parts. Has anyone tackled this? Ive searched the forum and saw where two other peeps have asked this question but it went unresolved. Was wondering if anyone has part numbers, or a diagram, or any information on this. If no one knows, ill dive into it myself and try to ID the bearings, if i can find them ill post the info i find, and maybe, ill do a write up on it.

I have owned 8 XJ Cherokee and several of them would squawk because the rubber boot or seal at the firewall was dry. About the only time a later model steering column gets loose is if people use it as a grab handle when entering and exiting.

Back