• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

September 25th, SoCal NAXJA: Adopt-A-Trail Project

Ed A. Stevens

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The date for our Adopt-A-Trail workday is September 25th.

We will meet with Ranger Greg at the Discovery Center Parking lot and stage from there to our Adopt-A-Trail, 2N04. The meeting time is 9:00 AM on the 25th at the Discovery Center.

Post up if you plan on attending?

Those that need a campsite are in luck, we can arrange it for the group(s) at Serrano with reservations (for one night, or more for other wheeling if you want to make it a full weekend). We need to reserve the campsite(s) in advance and the fee will be refunded as you'll be up for the weekend working with the U.S. Forest Service on an 'official' Adopt-a-Trail project. They should have several sites available since it isn't a holiday weekend. Let's get a count for campers to determine the number of sites to reserve?

You workday needs are simple: gloves, hat, sunscreen, water and lunch, and clothes for the weather. Most of we will be doing is moving rocks into the washouts and brush off the road & trail, and cleanup of debris and trash (there is usually some near highway 38).

The USFS will provide hand tools, so there is no need to buy any for the workday. If you have hand tools they can help but are not required (shovel, pick/Pulaski, rake/McCloud, etc.).

It should be a fun day, as well as a constructive day in the clean air.

Friday the 24th is also the first day of the Big Bear Octoberfest, held every night at the convention center (for those who plan on spending more than the day and want something different for nightlife).

We can also plan a Sunday run. Any suggestions?

Any Questions?

Ethan and I will be there for the work day. I suppose that he will want to camp sat. night. I'll double check and get back to you.

Tim

I'll be there of course! I'm inclined to say camping Friday and Saturday nights. I'm all for a run on Sunday too, anybody have any trails in particular they'd like to run? If I've got my springs in by then I'll be game for John Bull (to those that saw me last time, my springs have settled even LOWER than before if you can believe that!)

I'll stick this thread here...

Kejtar said:
I'll try to make it... it just depends how close I will be to my jeep.
Bring it with you. Duh? :wave:

GSequoia said:
I'm all for a run on Sunday too, anybody have any trails in particular they'd like to run?
I'll stick this thread here...

What trail is that runs dowh from up by the radio tower on Onyx? Never been.

Bent said:
What trail is that runs dowh from up by the radio tower on Onyx? Never been.

Pipes Canyon Road. It is a dead end at the Wildlands Conservancy property, one mile below the USFS/BLM property boundary. They purchased the property, and immediately closed the 100 year old road to 29 Palms, to turn it into designated Wilderness. There is a USFS campground at the bottom, and some good mining ruins (including the winch base for a cable tramway) and you can walk the ravine drainage and pick up Onyx from the vein that was mined (giving the mountain it's name, Onyx Peak). The difficulty is moderately easy, stock XJ or slightly modified full size capable.

The Pontiac sluice and Onyx Loop (Heartbreak Ridge) are fairly close to 2N04 and 2N02, and 2N69Y can be connected for a fairly challenging loop.

Ed A. Stevens said:
Pipes Canyon Road. It is a dead end at the Wildlands Conservancy property, one mile below the USFS/BLM property boundary. They purchased the property, and immediately closed the 100 year old road to 29 Palms, to turn it into designated Wilderness. There is a USFS campground at the bottom, and some good mining ruins.
Ah yes. Campgrouds, roads and old mines... The very definition of "wilderness." Gotta love the government view of the land.

The Pontiac sluice and Onyx Loop (Heartbreak Ridge) are fairly close to 2N04 and 2N02, and 2N69Y can be connected for a fairly challenging loop
Should make for a nice day of wheeling.

Ed,

I'll be up there on Friday night and stay through Sunday. Are you making the reservations or do I need to do that? Will we all camp together in a group campground or will we all have separate campsites?

I pre-ran 2N04 on Sunday morning. It's fairly tame for difficulty without any major complication from the recent rainfall.

There is a need for removing overhanging brush, and some trash and old carpets left in the bushes near the Highway 38 entry. The crossing at Arrasta Creek has diverted water onto the road before running down to the creekbed, indicating a potential need too redirect the creek into the normal creekbed at the crossing to prevent further road erosion (I'll check with Ranger Greg).

In all, with a group of a dozen people/vehicles we should be able to address the problems in about five hours, leaving time for some fun :woohoo: in the remaining daylight.

The camping can be arranged directly through the Discovery Center, for a site in the regular campgrounds (not a group CG). The fee will be reimbursed, but you should mention that you will be camping to support an official USFS Adopt-A-Trail project with Greg Hoffman. I would think most of the members will want to coordinate sites close together in the same campground (so pick a CG near town and post up your preference)?

If anyone wants to plan a get together for Friday or Saturday night we have a week to plan. Speak up if you have suggestions?

I will be traveling up to Big Bear on Friday the 24th, but I have tasks to complete before the fun begins.

That trash is back? I suggest when we pull the trash from by the highway we should pay attention to it, look for any mail to find the idiot who keeps doing that. When I ran the trail awhile back (when we decided on it) we hauled a LOT of it away.

Campgrounds: I'm game for any one we can get. I'd imagine Andy would like to bring his motorhome, anyplace that can accomidate him (or a place near it).

Sequoia

I would think Serrano Campground would be a good choice. It's located on the Northshore near the Discovery Center. It's large and close to town and the normal staging points.

I have to run an errand Saturday morning (get the XJ smog tested) in Big Bear City, but should make it to the DC by 9AM.

Who is going to attend at this time?

Me
Sequoia

(additions, edit)
Bent
Andy Steiner
jpfreak
MJR
Xtreme XJ
bburge
cbremer

?

This is great Guys, thanks for the advance notice.

If a guest wants to help out they are welcome to join the group (give us notice). We can tease those without XJ's, and convince those with XJ's to join NAXJA.

I need to dust off the CB to use in the XJ (channel 4) and I can be contacted by cell phone, although bear with the poor reception in BB: (949) 735-4948.

If anyone else has HAM we can choose a frequency: Onyx Peak 2M for contact & simplex for in the valley (choose)?

KG6DCH

Last edited:
Looks like I won't make it afterall, damn Yacht Club types got thier hooks into me for the Ventura Cup this weekend.

--ron

GSequoia said:
My plans have changed a bit..
I know what you mean... I still got plenty of work to do to mine and even though I need to test it on the trail (even a fireroad) I am not going to be able to make it :(

I'm still planning on driving down there EARLY saturday morning...of course, I have to come in from Vegas. See you guys Saturday.

Ed A. Stevens said:
Who is going to attend at this time?

Me
Sequoia

(additions, edit)
Bent
Andy Steiner
jpfreak

?
I'll be there Saturday morning in time for whatever time it is that I'm supposed to be there by to be on time. Ethan has a game at 1:00! Right smack dab in the middle of the day. It wouldn't be so bad if soccer was a sport:shhh: (who said that?). LOL Any way I'll be running back down the hill Sat. evening and maybe baaaaack uuuup the hill Sunday morning to meet back up with who ever's going to be going for a run. It really sucks being almost an hour away, I need a cabin! the meds are starting to wear off, better go now.

Tim

Back