• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Memorial Day Weekend????

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
So as I've chosen not to go to Moab this weekend who is up for either a quick trail run or even a one night camp-out? I've got Fri-Mon off and want to spend at least one day on the trail.

Friday night I am camping in penrose and wheeling the next morning. Would love to have you. Maybe you could even drive? =P

I might be open to something in NorCo. I have Friday - Monday off. Anybody heard any status on Middle St. Vrain?

Looks like I've got a run planned for Monday at MSV/Coney with a guy on the other forum. Meet up time will be 10am in Lyons at the U-Pump-It gas station (on right as you come into Lyons from Longmont).

Middle St Vrain road was closed at the highway today. There are chevron barriers completely barricading the entrance with signs that say "For Your Protection, Road Closed to All Entry." It's my understanding there was a large blowdown throughout the campgrounds, MStV, and Coney Creek Roads. They are to be open at the end of June, by the Trail Ridge Runners club

If the option remains to go up there at some point, we could explore the Switzerland Trail near Gold Hill Road with perhaps a side trip in Upper Left Hand Canyon. This would fill a good half day with 2 short tough hill climes. Also a 100 yards or so of rocky road (go slooow stuff). Switzerland Trail's rating for stock jeeps are 6-7 with one steep hill clime for everyone (w/good view) and one loose rocky (a Dead End) hill clime rated 8 1/2-9, (w/ good view).

Newbies could make this the Switzerland with no trouble. They could watch and or ride along on the steep hill clime. (Your jeep would always be in sight). As for the Upper L H Canyon road, (If there Jeep has a little lift (2-3 inches) and tow hooks) they could be winched or pulled up the entrance of the trail. Without a locker in the front and rear, the trail would be doable for a good driver! Maybe??? There's pucker power needed on this road. There is plenty of room at the trail's beginning to park.

Another choice would be up Ski Road in Allenspark. This road is on the north face with several switchbacks and the end of the road is over 10,000 ft. elevation (but there's no view). Trail rated 6-7 in the summer, now it could be 9-10.

I know these trails well and I'd set a reasonable pace. I'd been asked last year to take Bunces School Road over to the Middle St Vrain road. With out thinking about showing off the area roads, I quickly zipped through it, instead of taking everyone up the side tracks that the area is known for (Ironclads and the T-33A jet crash). My bad.

I'm free Fri. and Sat. I could lead or just as easy tail gun and watch the fun.

My 2 cents worth
Rick

I'm doing pole hill on Monday. I can't do the weekend and need Friday to put more parts on the XJ.

I still need to install my front 4.56's, my fuel tank skid, my SYE, my t-case skid, and wire up/mount my ARB compressor.

As for when/where:

Meet up time will be 10am in Lyons at the U-Pump-It gas station (on right as you come into Lyons from Longmont).

Back