• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to camp?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to go snow camping later this month. I'm looking for places to go and wondering if anybody knows of some good places (preferably off I90 or hwy2). Of coures I want a little bit of wheeling to occur before reaching the campsite. I'm also wouldn't mind some people to Join me. I'll probably have 4-5 people in my rig. But any suggestions for places or people to tag along would be great.

XJCasper said:
Check out Matt's write up on camping in the Snow.

I did look at that, looked like a lot of fun. only thing is I'm not sure at this point my rig could make that particular route. I'm running stock suspension right now with 235/75/r15 BFG All Terrains. So any suggestions something a stock rig could do? Also anybody want to join in?

WaXJ_Skier said:
I did look at that, looked like a lot of fun. only thing is I'm not sure at this point my rig could make that particular route. I'm running stock suspension right now with 235/75/r15 BFG All Terrains. So any suggestions something a stock rig could do? Also anybody want to join in?

You could get to the same place, you'd just have to hike in.

ECKSJAY said:
You could get to the same place, you'd just have to hike in.

That would completely defeat the purpose of taking my jeep. At that point we might as well take my roomates saturn *shudders*. Ideally I don't want to have to hike my bbq and beer in (yes we plan on drinking beer but not till all the driving is done and camp is setup).

WaXJ_Skier said:
That would completely defeat the purpose of taking my jeep. At that point we might as well take my roomates saturn *shudders*. Ideally I don't want to have to hike my bbq and beer in (yes we plan on drinking beer but not till all the driving is done and camp is setup).

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. You want to go snow camping in your Jeep but the Jeep's not able to make it up where there's snow camping...

theres just a few spots I was looking at in pictures that looked a little iffy. So i'm wondering if there are any other places people know about. Or do you guys think my rig could make it?

Theres a small lake at the top of FSR 9020 off of I-90, can't remember the name of it though. I'm not sure if theres snow up there though it's off of Exit 38. I've been up all the way to the top and found the lake once, but I WARN you, If you value your paint job, then don't attempt it, the road up there is very overgrown and you will come out with scratches galore.

As far as the campsite, there is 1 only, and the lake is in a Bowl of a mountain. It's pretty cool, i've only been there at night, and theres a fire pit. The lake looks good for fishing, and it's pretty small, as in almost Pond size, but as far as snow goes, i'm not sure if it would be lots or any. Depending on when you go though i might be interested

I drive a 91 with 7" lift

I would post up a date and see if you get others who want to go.

There is nothing wrong with stock suspension and tires for snow wheeling normally. HOWEVER, from our experience this year the snow is MUCH more difficult to get traction in than most "normal" years (on the same note, it is also not as deep) so I wouldn't expect you to be able to get enough flotation with your stock tires to make it very far at all (Especially with more than 1 person and camping gear).

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE TRY GOING WITHOUT AT LEAST A SECOND VEHICLE!!!!!!

If you want to snow camp I recomend you hike. If you want to wheel, come along on one of the other snow trips we do, there will be several more.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I would post up a date and see if you get others who want to go.

There is nothing wrong with stock suspension and tires for snow wheeling normally. HOWEVER, from our experience this year the snow is MUCH more difficult to get traction in than most "normal" years (on the same note, it is also not as deep) so I wouldn't expect you to be able to get enough flotation with your stock tires to make it very far at all (Especially with more than 1 person and camping gear).

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE TRY GOING WITHOUT AT LEAST A SECOND VEHICLE!!!!!!

If you want to snow camp I recommend you hike. If you want to wheel, come along on one of the other snow trips we do, there will be several more.

Michael
Excellent advice. Please heed it!

-----Matt-----

I would never go out alone thats why I joined the forum so I can find people to go with

Back