• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 4.0 won't run w/o key fully turned

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
Hi all,

One of the guys i shoot with has a 1995 Cherokee 4.0 that will start up, but cut out after he releases the key. I believe the switch itself checked out ok. He thought it sounded like a ballast resistor problem, bit cant find one listed for the 95. Anyone run into this before?

Thanks,

Copperhead
1987 Cherokee 4.0 Laredo
1996 Cherokee 4.0HO, Sport 2wd

Yes. There is a ballast resistor for the fuel pump, and the start circuit by-passes it. Therefore the behavior of starting when the key is at START and then dying when the key is returned to the RUN position indicates a failed ballast resistor.

I don't know where it's located on that year. On the non-HOs it's on the inside of the driver's fender, between the fender and the airbox. (Essentially right where the ECU is on your year.)

Thanks Eagle,

I'll let him know there should be one. the shop he initialy took it to said there wasn't one listed for his year.

Copperhead

The exact same thing happend to my Jeep (95 Sport) and it was the ignition switch. I bet after he opens up the colum he will see the plastic housing melted. You can get one a AutoZone for 25 bucks. If he has an airbag, he might want to let a shop replace the thing, plus the Torx screw heads that hold the ignition switch to the colum have a stud right in the middle of them. I had to use a small screwdriver and break the stud off so I could get the torx driver into the head.

There is no ballast resistor on the 95 for the fuel pump.. :wave1:

Alex

My 95 did the same thing try hitting the streering wheel then try to start it. it should start. mite need to doit more then once

ZombiE said:
The exact same thing happend to my Jeep (95 Sport) and it was the ignition switch. I bet after he opens up the colum he will see the plastic housing melted. You can get one a AutoZone for 25 bucks. If he has an airbag, he might want to let a shop replace the thing, plus the Torx screw heads that hold the ignition switch to the colum have a stud right in the middle of them. I had to use a small screwdriver and break the stud off so I could get the torx driver into the head.

There is no ballast resistor on the 95 for the fuel pump.. :wave1:

Alex

That 'stud' in the middle is there for a reason, it's called a tamper proof torx. They sell torx inserts for this. First ran into them on IBM monitors in 90, bribed an IBM repair guy for a set.

RichP said:
That 'stud' in the middle is there for a reason, it's called a tamper proof torx. They sell torx inserts for this. First ran into them on IBM monitors in 90, bribed an IBM repair guy for a set.

IMHO they are there so you'll take it back to the stealership and have the work done. A nice small screwdriver and a SMALL hammer pops them right out. Sounds like to much trouble your way :)

Alex

ZombiE said:
IMHO they are there so you'll take it back to the stealership and have the work done. A nice small screwdriver and a SMALL hammer pops them right out. Sounds like to much trouble your way :)

Alex

Not really, most 'good' electronics supply shops carry them. Reason for them is to keep neophytes out the boxes and they generally work well for that. I have not run into them too often lately but when I do the bits are stored in the top half of my snap-on ratchet screwdriver box.

Back