• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5-0 No-Mo.... potential Daily Driver......

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Picked this '02 Police Interceptor up for CHEAP. It's in such good shape, I'm gonna fix it and possibly drive it for a while. It was a command take home car so it's got the nice interior with carpet, not the burlap-ish seats and rubber floors. Previous owner hit a deer. Didn't damage the A/C or Radiator at all. "Easy" fix.....

IMG_20150514_123827536_HDR_zpsgrawkwne.jpg

IMG_20150514_123724743_HDR_zpspl8bugop.jpg

IMG_20150514_123156557_zpsuhtmha9w.jpg

It's seen A LOT of dirt road driving...... lol

IMG_20150514_123737540_HDR_zpss5qs3fdc.jpg

Have all the body parts coming to fix it, (ala former DPD parts car) then probably do a MAACO spray job.

Already deleted the spotlight and emergency equipment wiring. Needs a fuel pump and one brake line that rubbed and burst against the chassis.

Also plan on getting the old exhaust cut out, replacing with Flowmaster 40's and 3" tips.

Tires were bald and dry rotted so I snagged a set of 18" 2012 Challenger wheels. Requires 1"-1.25" wheels spacers to look right, but will bolt up as they are with no problems - they just sit too far into the wheel wells for my liking. Pic is using spacers for initial fit testing.

IMG_20150517_133250466_HDR_zpsalos0kt2.jpg

IMG_20150517_133315893_HDR_zps4w2w7yei.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Crown Vic.... potential Daily Driver......

Hell yeah. It's funny how comfy those are to rock around in when you're not in the back :gee:

It's not even about the "comfy" aspect, these things handle well and will shit-n-get!

The '03-'09's are better with improved handling and braking, but this '02 is just a small step below those. Still has the big brakes and 4.6 engine those have, just the older suspension design and I believe, softer springs and sways.

Lots of us coppers really miss these as patrol cars. The new Interceptor Taurus has it's benefits, but gawdammit they're hard to get in and out of. Trunk space and back seat room are stupid compared to the CV as well.

So, when I saw this come up, I scratched an itch.

Last edited:

I'd rock one. My gramps has a marauder and its tits. They are fun around town no doubt. Be cool to see one on the track.

Fun car! Ive had the itch to make a marauder clone before.
I'm sure this would be nice to drive to and from a track day. Haha

these things handle well and will shit-n-get!
That they do! When I was broke down in I-80, the Nebraska State Patrol that picked me up was driving one of these. He spared no fuel in getting us across the traffic lanes and onto the exit ramp. I was surprised to hear the displacement was under 5 liters.

I don't even need to click that link John........ I know EXACTLY which video that is! :thumbup:

hqdefault.jpg

I think those wheels looks great.
I assume it's dirt cheap to lower those cars/ I would lower and Go to a track day asap :)
Makes me want to sell the Saturn haha

I'd think it'd probably rub if lowered and put through hard corners.....

Tempting nonetheless........:shhh:

Got the 'Vic back from my Uncle's shop last weekend. Runs and drives good!

Lots of time spent at the junk yards, and got some work done this week......

Snatched up a super clean set of seats and carpet from a Mercury Marquis and got them steam cleaned and installed. (forgot to take pics..... :twak:)

Leather wrapped steering wheel from the same Marquis - installed.

Replaced the missing ashtray/cup holder assembly

Found a dash trim panel that wasn't full of holes and installed that.

Figured out where the water leak at the cowl was that was soaking my carpet - bad seal between the HVAC box and firewall, gotta remove the pass. side fender well and put a bead of sealer around the box.

Bought spray cans of Ford paint code FS "Spruce Green" (car sure looks gray to me..... :dunno: ) and painted the replacement core support, inside the new fender, under the replacement hood and behind the replacement header panel.

Tore down the busted and bent parts, then got the new core support installed before the rain started...... ugh. Did Colorado move closer to Seattle? Sick of the rain.

IMG_20150611_164734132_zpsd7lnh2by.jpg

IMG_20150611_171120681_HDR_zpsuldgeu8g.jpg

Found these under the driver's seat...... Used to be an Elbert County car.

33830da3-31e2-4aaf-b40d-639404eee1c0_zpsfae8z3mu.jpg

Looks like the P71 package supplemental wiring harness is a separate, stand alone harness. Thinking about removing it. The mass of spaghetti in the trunk alone is obnoxious and in the way.

Last edited:

Why does it have wheel spacers or adapters?

The backspacing of the Challenger wheels is deeper than the OEM wheels. In order to get them to position correctly in the wheel well, spacers are needed. They will mount up without them, but the fronts rub deep in the well a little and it just looks odd with wheels set too far inward. They'd fit fine w/o spacers if this were an '03-'11 'Vic.

Because race car.

No...... no race car.

Because RaceTruck.......

IMG_20140222_171247152_HDR_zpsjwvs2klm.jpg

Last edited:

Ready for paint. Anyone know a guy who shoots a decent paint job & is reasonably priced?

IMG_20150612_202317443_zps3zmabflb.jpg

Interior pics

Before

IMG_20150607_130455601_HDR_zpslg64c5uu.jpg

IMG_20150607_130532664_HDR_zpsakrazuie.jpg

IMG_20150607_130544432_HDR_zpsbjjcqdqh.jpg

After

IMG_20150612_200555400_zps7h861kj9.jpg

IMG_20150612_200510392_zpsuytoipvu.jpg

IMG_20150612_200544164_zpsuws2exrd.jpg

Love it -- I enjoyed cruising my Dad's 01 Grand Marquis for a while after he passed away, great comfy and powerful ride (that 4.6 has some nuts)... until I sold it to jimgrms as "an age appropriate vehicle", which he promptly flipped for a jeep. :D

Must say though, Troy, a bit surprised to see you rockin a Ford. Seen the light, huh? :eyes:

Must say though, Troy, a bit surprised to see you rockin a Ford. Seen the light, huh? :eyes:

No. :moon:

This car has already tried my patience enough to where I've been reminded why I don't keep Fords around.

The mystery air bag light and associated codes are keeping me from getting it emissions tested..... The carpet has developed a certain stank from the rain water constantly leaking through the HVAC box and onto the passenger floor boards..... it's now got a stumble/misfire and the exhaust smells like rotten eggs (could be skunky fuel).... and apparently the electrical connectors used for the turn signals and headlights are made of 1000 year old plastic.... they crumble in your hands and good ones can't be found at the junk yards......

Oh and Ford's decision to use water-based primers and paints...... yeah that didn't work out well, this was the first hood I got for the repair and the pic is after a quick washing.... paint blistered like a bad sunburn.... paint guy at the Denver Police Garage said the only fix is to strip the thing to metal, so I grabbed a hood from an older model that was pre-water based paint. Had to use a fender with this issue as apparently Crown Vics have a tendency to smash the driver's front almost exclusively......

IMG_20150607_151458023_zps87pudj29.jpg

Had to use a fender with this issue as apparently Crown Vics have a tendency to smash the driver's front almost exclusively......

So cops have a tendency to run into things? Driver front? :sunshine:

Back