• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1978 Scout

supernatural

NAXJA Forum User
I have another project i just started and it's a 1978 Scout. I'm starting with replacing tle floor pan due to the cancer associated with the Scout. Once i'm done with the floor pan i'm moving onto other "mo funna" things. Not sure what i'm doing as far as suspension or shoes but i do know its getting a cage and this will most likely be a time extensive project.

on to the pics...

home_zpsc3040219.jpg

7_zps4f11a8d6.jpg

9_zpsc00ddb2f.jpg

6_zps6442156a.jpg

3_zps7872eb5e.jpg

2_zpsd8e8a272.jpg

IMG_20121231_155904_zps6fefb538.jpg

Awesome. Scouts can be nice old-skool rigs like early Broncos. I'm gonna enjoy this thread. :thumbup:

Or is the sign: "Dead End" that is over the rig in the last picture trying to tell you something? Just kidding. Looks like a cool project. :)

Ya i'm excited to work on something that doesn't "fold in half" when the roof is off! I'm pretty excited to be able to learn on this thing. Picked it up for next to nothing, and my friend told me it will need minimal work to get the motor running.Probably gonna do a spring over and some other minimal things to start with. I just started researching this thing, and i'm liking what i've found so far. keep an eye out, hopefully money falls out of the sky and i can get it crawler ready by this spring.

I dig these things. Cant wait to see where it goes. They look super cool with big meats :thumbup:

scouts are cool, parts are expensive... just commenting to subscribe, ya know, because of the cool part. :D

Welcome to the world of single digit fuel economy! Which engine?

Love these. Who was the guy that used to be friends with Planefixer and Led (I think) that had one of these and used to come on runs with us? It was really nice.

This is my favorite version of trim for the Scouts - the grill and door inserts. :thumbup:

478317d1257647702-pictures-my-old-scout-pirate-robertsearles1.jpg

Welcome to the world of single digit fuel economy! Which engine?

its got the 345 in it.

I plan on working on this thing this weekend. I'm hoping to get all the floor pan in, and to begin figuring out seat mounts and brackets.

If any of you know of some scout forums out there please let me know. I found one but it reminded me of jeepforum... not a lot of tech and not a lot of traffic.

No, the Scout "SSII" which is what that one is - or at least has parts from - had those as optional equipment along with soft door inserts for those cut outs and a soft top. Also included the grill you see on that one, and a tailgate insert as well.

Do a google image search using "scout SSII" and you find lots of examples. Pretty cool package. :thumbup:

Those door inserts can still be bought aftermarket and are supposedly better/stronger as the OEM ones were Lexan and the new ones are fiberglass.

dcp_0012_001.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Back