• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

47 Ford truck Rat Rod build.

I like the '32 grill. Goes better with the rounded lines of the cab.

I agree. I like the grill the 30' grill better, but not on this particular application.

That thing screams for a Hemi swap, and I happen to know a guy with one. :)

I am going to disagree with you there Dutch. This looks to be a traditional Rat Rod build and I , for one, applaud the effort to keep it period correct. you just do not see much of that anymore. This build has the potential to be show worthy.

Now, if you had an original Hemi laying around, that might be different. In truth, flat head engines just run differently that OHV engines. Smoother, softer owing to the low compression ratio which makes them perfect candidates for forced induction.

An aluminium cylinder head would be great but... You would have to find an original speed part which makes that idea pretty much impossible. If you had a V8, speed parts are everywhere...

If you do decide to go with forced induction do not forget to modify the distributor for FI. You will need to be able to pressure retard as well as vacuum advance the spark. I can help you there as we are both in the Springs.

Keep in mind that the first supercharger I installed was on a '49 Ford Woodie with a '52 flat head V8 back in '60... Been at this for a while.

One thought here, don't waste a ton of money on the paint. Sort of defeats the entire Rat Rod ethic... Rust works.

Last Rat Rod I was involved with was my Brothers. He pulled the body in from the desert (he lives in Az) and all we did was to shoot matte finish clear coat on it to preserve the rust. Looked pretty good actually.

Check this page. Third image down...
http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?6951127-Show-Me-Some-Ratrod-builds-!!

ratrodpickup1.jpg

A proper Rat that...

Last edited by a moderator:

Since you pointed that out I have to agree that it does match the lines of the cab better. I think the red was distracting me. To me it seemed too flashy. Going to spray it with some primer black and see what I think. On the plus side I found out a radiator from a 64-66 mustang V8 is a perfect fit for both grill's. It is cheap, readily available and will work perfect for my needs.

I am going to disagree with you there Dutch. This looks to be a traditional Rat Rod build and I , for one, applaud the effort to keep it period correct. you just do not see much of that anymore. This build has the potential to be show worthy.

Now, if you had an original Hemi laying around, that might be different. In truth, flat head engines just run differently that OHV engines. Smoother, softer owing to the low compression ratio which makes them perfect candidates for forced induction.

An aluminium cylinder head would be great but... You would have to find an original speed part which makes that idea pretty much impossible. If you had a V8, speed parts are everywhere...

If you do decide to go with forced induction do not forget to modify the distributor for FI. You will need to be able to pressure retard as well as vacuum advance the spark. I can help you there as we are both in the Springs.

Keep in mind that the first supercharger I installed was on a '49 Ford Woodie with a '52 flat head V8 back in '60... Been at this for a while.

One thought here, don't waste a ton of money on the paint. Sort of defeats the entire Rat Rod ethic... Rust works.

Last Rat Rod I was involved with was my Brothers. He pulled the body in from the desert (he lives in Az) and all we did was to shoot matte finish clear coat on it to preserve the rust. Looked pretty good actually.

Check this page. Third image down...
http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?6951127-Show-Me-Some-Ratrod-builds-!!

A proper Rat that...

I just think the flathead 6 just looks at home in this truck. The 302 looked out of place. The turbo build on the other flathead will be a long ways down the road. Probably after I am done with the build and need something else to keep myself busy. I will keep you in mind when the time comes.. As far as paint on the truck it will pretty much stay the way it is.

So I think the mock up is pretty much done. Have the cab where it need to be, engine mocked up and the front suspension set up. For the rear I plan on keeping it simple and just running leaf springs. Still undecided if I am going to keep and run the Dana 41 rear axle. It has 3.73 gears which might be an issue with the 4 speed trans with highway speeds. Might just run it and swap in a pre 72 ford 9 inch later if the gearing doesn't work out. About the only thing I haven't really figured out is what gear box I am going to run. The Corvair and Vega boxes are commonly used but I would like to try and keep this an all Ford parts build. So I need to hunt down a Ford box that will work. So pretty much the next step is build the actual frame and start putting it all together. Would like to do the whole project for 3k with a 3 month build time.

I could not possibly agree more that the "Flattie" will look like it belongs. Of course... That it looks right is due to it being factory in appearance. Ford was all flat Head until, if memory serves, 1952. 1952 was a transition year with both L Head and the OHV engines. The '52 F1 I had came with the L Head V8. And, I believe, that '53 was the very last year for the Flatties.

Props to you for attempting top keep the build Old School. Have to ask, do you intend to chop and channel the body? Definitely the way to go. IMO, up to 6" can be removed from the cab height...

Although not period correct, you could install a rack and pinion steering from a Mustang.

If, down the road, you do decode to go with FI, let me know and I will give all the assistance I can.

I think I might be able to run the original steering box. It will require some machine work to work. But I think it can be done and if not It looks like the 56 F1 Box can work also. That was the first year the column was removable from the box. As far as chopping and channeling the the cab that will have to wait for the last project. I would like to be able to step back a ways and get a good idea of how much of a chop I will do. With the original seat out of the cab i have maybe 10-12 inches of head room to play with. The floor will not be channeled do to the fact It is already low enough with the new frame I am building.

Back